FG knot on light lines

faker

6lb braid or 6lb leader? Highly unlikely if it is 6lb braid. It will likely have a real breaking strength of around 12 or 14lbs. Just load it up gradually to cinch it in place and test it. Snapping your hands apart to test a knot does not simulate a real world scenario. As hard and as fast as a fish hits the working end of the line the initial shock is partially taken up by the stretch in the leader and mostly by the rod tip flexing.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DerekD said:

6lb braid or 6lb leader? Highly unlikely if it is 6lb braid. It will likely have a real breaking strength of around 12 or 14lbs. Just load it up gradually to cinch it in place and test it. Snapping your hands apart to test a knot does not simulate a real world scenario. As hard and as fast as a fish hits the working end of the line the initial shock is partially taken up by the stretch in the leader and mostly by the rod tip flexing.

that depends on diameter for instance 0.006 mm 6lb actually snaps at its breaking str. if they refer to PE0.6 which is 0.130mm which many market as  6lb then yea it does break at 12-14 lb

Edited by faker

Why do you ask a question and then query the reply??  Derek knows his stuff and has helped many with his knowledge . You gunna ask the same question on FB?

simple answer is don’t pull to hard.

Edited by XD351
  • Like 5

Hi Faker,

Not sure where you are getting your data from. I wasn't aware of any line that is 0.006mm. The Berkley x5 in 4lb I like to use is 0.06mm or PE0.6 and as per packet below has a maximum breaking strength of 14lb. For people concerned about breaking strength I get them to try and break the line before cutting themselves. In a decade of demonstrating this I haven't had anyone succeed. Not to say it can't be done but the force required to do so is well beyond the claimed limit. The PE to mm conversion is a funny one as there does not seem to be an agreed standard for this and can be dependent on the material. As a quick dirty guideline I just multiply the PE by 10 to get the strength in pounds. BTW in the absence of a strength testing rig, a micrometer and a whole lot of time testing line breaking strengths I take the writing on the packet at face value then look at and feel the line. Has worked for me to date. I also know there should be a safety factor in the ratings to compensate for the reduced strengths of knots.

IMG_3034.thumb.JPG.2cbc15b912906be550fd586d1b620137.JPG

Last summer I set up a 7 foot 8 inches outfit (I blame @Little_Flatty for introducing me to the Crucis Elite rod) purely for sandflats fishing light lures. I matched it with a Shimano Nasci 1000 for casting distance (line has less distance travel when coming off the spool) and had it packed to just below the lip (the shop spooled it twice to nail it and I appreciated the care they took for it). I set it up with the skinniest braid (Olltolos PEWX Finesse Shangrilla) they had in the shop, PE0.5 which still had a maximum breaking strain of 12lb. I can tie an FG knot with this line and for my needs it has not let me down. The line is susceptible to nicks so I have to fish it with a bit of care. Best fish to date was a 73cm flathead which was released.

Skip the knot part and first check your braid for breaking strength by gradually loading it up. Then repeat with the knot. You get a feel for it over time.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 3

@faker I suspect you might have been reading the inches rather than then mm readings.

I suggest you do a bit of knot practice while watching TV one night to get a feel for tying the knot with your desired braid and leader. The others are correct; you get a feel for it over time and after about ten attempts it becomes second nature.

• Like 1

A bit off topic but I also struggle doing an FG on light lines so moved to slim beauty for light rigs and only use FG for 15-20lb leaders (or higher). SB is a cracking knot and very easy to tie, its only around 25% less in strength then an FG.

• Like 2

The FG knot works for all leader sizes. Derek is bang on gradually load up the line to see if its tensioned right. Usually a break or snap off is down to user error when tieing on, practice makes perfect. I have used the FG on 6 lb braid down to 2lb FC leader, it works!

If you are casting lures and looking for casting distance and getting the join knot through micro guides on a finesse rod the FG is the smallest knot if done right.

• Like 2