Lure fishing journey so far and learning from mistakes

faker

So when i first got into lure fishing, it was from watching people catch bonito from Balmoral Wharf casting metals and in my eagerness to join i got my first lure combo the 2-6kg rod with a bunch of jarvis walker braid and spinning metals. Although i did get pretty good results i watched as another guy who was able to consistently catch more then me on lures despite using the 10lb braid due to further casting distance.

This was my first learning mistake

Diameter matters

My second mistake was watching @nbdshroom videos without understanding how lure actions work underwater and just trying to imitate his technique without understanding why he did things at certain stages. After watching a whole stack of tutorials i understood that and how to find fish consistently. That was largely due to impatience in wanting to catch things. I am now much more confident that my technique will catch a flathead if they are around.

This brings me to my most recent mistake. I have been fishing with wayyyy too heavy rod to cast correct lure. I have been trying to fish a 1/16-1/12 jighead(This would be around 1.7 to 2.3 grams respectively) with a grub on a minimum 4-gram rod. Now consider the average grub/slimswim it weights approximately 1-2 grams each. This will barely load the rod that I am using. This is why I recently bought the 2-4kg veritas ( 2 to 14 gram cast weights)from Abu Garcia. I know i have received some advice to go 1-3kg however, i believe it's necessary for me to learn how to manage the bread-and-butter combo first before i play with idea of ultra-light fishing. especially considering i only have a 2500 reel at the moment

Currently, I have learned how to cast properly side-wards and can reasonably put a lure within 1m of the target. Also learning how many casts i should chuck into an area before moving spots(would love tips)

But in general, I would say my catch rates/hook-up rates have been increasing when fish are around. I have also been travelling wider and willing to fish a spot for several weeks to understand when there would be fish

Future plans:

Land that first King+Jew from shore on lure

Getting into shore jigging, I have actually done months of research on it first before deciding on my first outfit and have had a friend who does do it guide me on what gear i need for basics around Sydney as well as the isofishing guys. probably get the gear in 1 month's time as weather warms up

Edited by faker
  • Like 7

I read your post with interest Faker. One of the best characteristics we humans possess is that of being able to self analyse. Of course, it demands that we be honest in our assessment of our strengths and shortfalls. Your post is a very honest assessment of your journey thus far, and I applaud you for it. More importantly, you have learned a lot and have the determination to move ahead with your goals. Keep it up and you will get your rewards and really enjoy your fishing. Good luck, bn

• Like 4

Hi @faker

That was a very candid post but I think referring to mistakes is a bit negative (that is the best way I can think of putting it).

There is a quote attributed to Thomas A. Edison relating to multiple attempts he did at making a practical light bulb.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work".

Learning to fish can be a journey of a lifetime, especially with a continuous improvement approach. I get an immense amount of pleasure trying different techniques (and then passing on what I have picked up on to others). I expect false starts but that isn't a negative if I learn something from what I try. I've taken the time to work the stuff out but I wouldn't be where I am without the knowledge of those that have gone before me. I only have to be smart enough to work out how to use the equipment - smarter people have designed it in the first place.

I don't think you have made any mistakes. You are on a journey of learning and you needed a starting point before you could refine what you do. If you could go back in time you'd probably change your starting point but then with another 12 months of learning under your belt there would be even more refinements. I'd love to go back to me in 2009 with gear and a day to teach myself what I've picked up in the years since.

I've been impressed by your dedication at trying to pick up information up as quickly as possible. While I think you are trying to run when you should still be walking this is your journey.

Keep at it and looking forward to seeing further growth in your fishing abilities.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1