Shore Jigging - Sydney

On 9/8/2023 at 11:20 AM, HawkesburyParadise said:

Hi guys,

I've been watching Shore Jigging videos using metal jigs. Seems exciting without spending an arm and a leg. 

What are your tips for it and what's the best wharves in Sydney with deep water(particularly on the Northern Side).

Cheers

HP

Shore jigging is expensive. Even I had to spend 350 for a versatile outfit excluding blades. Yes it can work with smaller or beach rods but not same action. 

Aliexpress jigs are your go to almost twice to 3x as cheap

Blue Point reserve is a very popular spot for shore jigging, and there are many videos on YT so its not any big secret. 

Ive started throwing 30 gram metals again, stuff like the palms dax range, duo also make some ok ones. On the cheaper side you can get some nomad metals that work just as well. 

Rods are typically more pricey because they will need to be long and light, as you will be casting for hours, and believe me it can leave you as sore as a good gym session. 

On the lighter side you can go with a 3000 reel with a 10ft rod and some 10-12lb braid (But you will be in trouble with anthing bigger than a rat) I have one of these combos and its great in the surf. 

Give <retailer removed, PM for details > a visit they are super knowledgeable and wont just try to rape your pocket, if you dont live close just call them and give them your budget. 

You can import reels from JP to save some money but I generally get my rods from here in AUS, because whatever you save on price you will be paying for in oversized shipping charges. 

Edited by Little_Flatty
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, GoldenHourFishing said:

Blue Point reserve is a very popular spot for shore jigging, and there are many videos on YT so its not any big secret. 

Ive started throwing 30 gram metals again, stuff like the palms dax range, duo also make some ok ones. On the cheaper side you can get some nomad metals that work just as well. 

Rods are typically more pricey because they will need to be long and light, as you will be casting for hours, and believe me it can leave you as sore as a good gym session. 

On the lighter side you can go with a 3000 reel with a 10ft rod and some 10-12lb braid (But you will be in trouble with anthing bigger than a rat) I have one of these combos and its great in the surf. 

Give iso fishing a visit they are super knowledgeable and wont just try to rape your pocket, if you dont live close just call them and give them your budget. 

You can import reels from JP to save some money but I generally get my rods from here in AUS, because whatever you save on price you will be paying for in oversized shipping charges. 

I spoke with Hai and the iso guys when i bought mine.They  advise me on medium heavy side with 35 lb japanese braid with 30-60 gram metals. Apparently its the most flexible of the comboes since i won;t be outgunned on the rocks or in the harbour

I am running a Daiwa MH shore jigging X with 35 LB Siglon Adv on a 6000 Daiwa frearms.

Can get whole combo for around $400

@HawkesburyParadise you can get it below 400 if you get the 5000 Nasci.

As @GoldenHourFishing said you can get away with lighter in harbour but off the rocks. you really need the stopping power

Edited by faker

1 hour ago, GoldenHourFishing said:

Give <retailer removed, PM for details > a visit they are super knowledgeable and wont just try to rape your pocket, if you dont live close just call them and give them your budget. 

Thanks man. Also, Shore Jigging is a year round activity isn't it? 

1 minute ago, HawkesburyParadise said:

Thanks man. Also, Shore Jigging is a year round activity isn't it? 

It is, but it fires up in the warmer months especially in the harbour. Ive been throwing land based maybe 8 times over the last 2 months and havent got much to show for it. The warmer water brings larger quantities of pelagics into the harbour, you will definitley get more numbers between say November - March 

You can get tailor and salmon in the winter but you will get those and more in the warmer months. 

Its also worth noting that the bait balls will be higher up in the water during these months, so ripping small 20 - 30 gram metals through the water is lethal during this time. 

You can also try directly under the harbour bridge, on the luna park side but it gets pretty packed on the weekends, chuck a sickie during the week and you are good, I havent had much luck there but plenty of other people pull quality fish from there. 

• Like 1