Just to make sure

Little_Flatty

So I started the day cranky. I was supposed to wake up at 5am to get out to target luds, but children waking me up at all hours of the night put paid to those plans.

An alternative plan was hatched/negotiated to spend the time with the family, then catch a late afternoon session on the corresponding high tide. A nice day was had at the beach with the family, then on the way home, we decided to stop in the city to do some shopping. There goes my afternoon session! But not all was lost; I got some heavily discounted outdoor hiking trousers to wear for fishing the impending summer.

THEN we get home. An hour of daylight left. I say I'm heading out for the last hour of sunlight, and the top of the tide. What happens? Well, my wife found some nice bowls in the city, and wanted to see if the local franchise had stock. So off she goes while I mind the kids. As darkness falls, I contemplate pulling out the fly tying vise to tie some clousers.

Then my wife returns, with bowls in hand. Off you go, she says. Now I have a choice, go all :depression: ...or go fishing. A wise angler will always choose the latter! Pop down to Meadowbank. Same trick; three jigheads, three plastics and a rod. This time my trusty 3-5kg flathead raider with 10lb braid and 20lb leader...it was just what I had near the car in the garage. I was in a rush, and that setup would've been handy if I encountered the fish that let go of my lure last time!

Get on the water. A few casts in, I encounter this little guy:

image.png.2e6b912278f3752fed0e921c8168aec0.png

Absolutely full of beans, would barely let me get a photo before I sent him on his way.

Then I cast for another twenty mins, then come up with this guy:

image.png.2e3bcd36a7968c21d8d86aedf560a5b9.png

Not bad.

Then I got snagged, which I took as my signal to come home. I'm just glad the upper Parra flats have come back to life. Literally it's gone from dead to alive in the matter of three weeks!

Still have some weed that I had collected for the luds, will see if I can get out before work during the week.

• Like 15

13 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Good stuff Mike, always good to have a plan A,b, c and more. Good to get out in the end. 

Well done.

Cheers Isaac, having plans A-C definitely pays off sometimes!

12 hours ago, Yowie said:

You cannot catch fish at home (unless you have a large tank with flatties, whiting, bream cruising about - have always thought of it).

Worth the effort of getting out there.

Cheers Yowie. I'm not sure there's many anglers who haven't thought of that!

1 hour ago, Larkin said:

You were deadset going fishing that day! 
Isn’t it good when your local starts firing! 
nice couple 👍 

Thanks Chris, I need my time on the water! Certainly good when the local starts firing.

6 minutes ago, faker said:

The closest fishing hole i have is lake parra and i have no idea how to catch bass

Start trying and you'll work it out sooner or later 😎 You can use the lures and gear you have already.

8 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Cheers Isaac, having plans A-C definitely pays off sometimes!

Cheers Yowie. I'm not sure there's many anglers who haven't thought of that!

Thanks Chris, I need my time on the water! Certainly good when the local starts firing.

Start trying and you'll work it out sooner or later 😎 You can use the lures and gear you have already.

Oh I tried, gonna need weedless down there it's snag central 

• Like 1