First morning in Auckland

AlbertW

Hey all,

Got on the plane to Auckland yesterday and after a few “minor” inconveniences( the bus got hit by an airport truck) we finally made it to Auckland at around 4pm Nz time. Woke up at around 4am today and just didn’t have anything to do so I got up at 6 and went down to get some breakfast at the hotel. At 10 I venture out into the harbour with my little bream gear and start chucking gulp grubs around. The guys at the tackle shop said that 4-5 inch plastics were a good size even for the little snapper. However I kept getting hits and taps and hooking up but then promptly dropping the fish, after cutting the grub in half I sent it back out there and first cast I had something big grab it, my little 2500 nasci screamed and off it went. Was thinking of a trevally at first but then I saw the red. So happy to be rewarded with a 30cm snapper especially with it being my second time fishing here in NZ and first time trying soft plastics for saltwater. I only had 4lb braid and 10lb leader so I was very hesitant to lift it up, but with no other options it actually handled very well, no abrasions on the leader but I’ll still change it up later. Chucked it back and off I went back to the hotel to write this report.

Thanks for reading,

Albert

AD4D54C4-988B-4E5E-A529-5C32CA029237.jpeg

• Like 10

Just now, AlbertW said:

Hey all,

Got on the plane to Auckland yesterday and after a few “minor” inconveniences( the bus got hit by an airport truck) we finally made it to Auckland at around 4pm Nz time. Woke up at around 4am today and just didn’t have anything to do so I got up at 6 and went down to get some breakfast at the hotel. At 10 I venture out into the harbour with my little bream gear and start chucking gulp grubs around. The guys at the tackle shop said that 4-5 inch plastics were a good size even for the little snapper. However I kept getting hits and taps and hooking up but then promptly dropping the fish, after cutting the grub in half I sent it back out there and first cast I had something big grab it, my little 2500 nasci screamed and off it went. Was thinking of a trevally at first but then I saw the red. So happy to be rewarded with a 30cm snapper especially with it being my second time fishing here in NZ and first time trying soft plastics for saltwater. I only had 4lb braid and 10lb leader so I was very hesitant to lift it up, but with no other options it actually handled very well, no abrasions on the leader but I’ll still change it up later. Chucked it back and off I went back to the hotel to write this report.

Thanks for reading,

Albert

It looks quite small in my hands haha,

2FB32A5F-5B6F-419F-A73B-E0416BCAC52D.jpeg

• Like 2

Good onya Albert I admire your enthusiasm. Never a truer statement than "You get out what you put in". You have researched Fishraider and asked the appropriate people for advice in Auckland, showed initiative, and been rewarded with a nice Snapper. Enjoy the rest of your stay in NZ and keep us all informed of your results. Cheers, bn

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AlbertW said:

Hey all,

Thanks for reading,

Albert

Update another snapper was caught 😁 

AE8CB6FE-EEE6-45F5-9469-8FF8C064511C.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 9:21 AM, AlbertW said:

Woke up at around 4am today and just didn’t have anything to do so I got up at 6 and went down to get some breakfast at the hotel. At 10 I venture out

Ok Albert, some timing issues here. Woke up at 4am and then not fishing till 10? That’s six hours of fishing given up! You’ve got to be more efficient with your time, my friend!🤣

Well done on getting some pan sized snapper on lures. I’m not sure I’ve pulled off that feat yet! Looking forward to more reports from this trip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2