Cooks River / Spit Bridge

adamski

Hey folks,

Hope you're having a good one. It's been relatively slow going in my neck of the woods over the last few months, but I managed to get out the last two Saturdays on the trot.

Last weekend I hit the Cooks on the run-out tide and it was one of those days where the the trevs were in the system in plague-like proportions. It seems to happen when the weather heats up and there's been little rain: the river gets a greenish tinge (rather than the usual murky brown) and you literally can't leave a lure on the bottom without it getting hoovered up. The fish were willing to take pretty much any small to medium green/blue/brown plastic. Ended up with around 8 trevally in the 35-45 cm range and some flatties up to about 50 cm. It made for a fun morning.  

Today the other, better half was away meeting some friends in Manly, so I got a run out to the Spit. I've never fished there before,  but there were lots of big whiting about. I didn't really have light enough gear to entice any, so started having a flick round the wharves and after 10 casts or so felt a big heavy weight. Bit of a scrap and some theatrical leaping around (from both the fish and me!) and in comes a decent salmon at 55 cm, a pb for me. I went round the corner to have a few casts at the bridge afterwards, but couldn't pull out anything other than a few grinner. 

20230923_090630.thumb.jpg.c47bf2458dd33b220d21eab367876007.jpg

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, XD351 said:

Great report and nice salmon! I haven’t been able to catch one since I bought a smoker - it is like they know what I’m going to do to them and just vanished 🤣🤣🤣

Ah yes! There's no greater guarantee of a doughnut than buying a new bit of fish-cooking gear! (Apart from the phrase "Don't worry guys, I'll catch us dinner!")

• Haha 2