Shroom on an interesting vessel on the Georges River!

mrsswordfisherman

11 hours ago, big Neil said:

An interesting vessel Shroom. Plenty of good sized Whiting caught on the worms. Shame that they aren't able to be eaten though. bn

Whys that Neil? Because they were caught in the georges?

Edited by onearmedfisho
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, onearmedfisho said:

Whys that Neil? Because they were caught in the georges?

I don't live in Sydney but I have often heard fishos say that they don't risk eating fish from the Sydney rivers which I take to mean the Georges and Parramatta. I don't class the Hawkesbury the same way though. Maybe they are ok these days, probably a lot less polluters than there used to be. I stand to be corrected, hopefully somebody (even Shroom) may like to comment. 

Cheers, bn

19 hours ago, big Neil said:

An interesting vessel Shroom. Plenty of good sized Whiting caught on the worms. Shame that they aren't able to be eaten though. bn

Thanks Big Neil! Those tube worms were dynamite on the whiting and it seemed as though once they honed in on the bait, it was a matter of time before they hooked themselves haha.

11 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Well done Shroom. Looks like a pontoon “party boat” decked out for fishing 👍
How far up the George’s were you?

cheers Zoran

Thanks a lot Zoran, I was fishing toward the middle of the Georges, so not far up the river at all.

6 hours ago, big Neil said:

I don't live in Sydney but I have often heard fishos say that they don't risk eating fish from the Sydney rivers which I take to mean the Georges and Parramatta. I don't class the Hawkesbury the same way though. Maybe they are ok these days, probably a lot less polluters than there used to be. I stand to be corrected, hopefully somebody (even Shroom) may like to comment. 

Cheers, bn

I think it depends who you ask, some people don't keep a single fish anywhere in the Georges as it has a reputation for being a very polluted system. The DPI says fish can be kept in the Georges if it hasn't come from Salt Pan Creek or upstream of Rabaul rd boat ramp (but definitely check official sources). I hope that helps!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nbdshroom said:

Thanks Big Neil! Those tube worms were dynamite on the whiting and it seemed as though once they honed in on the bait, it was a matter of time before they hooked themselves haha.

Thanks a lot Zoran, I was fishing toward the middle of the Georges, so not far up the river at all.

I think it depends who you ask, some people don't keep a single fish anywhere in the Georges as it has a reputation for being a very polluted system. The DPI says fish can be kept in the Georges if it hasn't come from Salt Pan Creek or upstream of Rabaul rd boat ramp (but definitely check official sources). I hope that helps!

The tube worms certainly did the job Shroom. Don't see good-sized Whiting caught one after the other very often. It's been a long time since I lived in Sydney and certainly, the rivers were considered polluted by all sorts of residue from local factories in that era. EPA has had a big impact on pollution in recent times so things have probably improved significantly. Haven't heard of anyone dying as a result of eating toxic fish so maybe my judgement is outdated. It would be nice to think so. Keep the videos coming, love the wacky ones.

bn

• Like 2