Spewing at Lost unicorn flatty

faker

So went to narrabeen today and was messing around with ultralight gear at pipeclay point based on article written by one of our members.

Place were meh on the flats but the drop offs were nightmare to fish especially on eastern side due to amount of weed  there. I think lake entrance closed causes weed blooms. Can someone knowledgeable confirm?

Also can Someone please update the narrabeen article that that spot can ONLY fished weedless or surface lures 

Managed to hook on to 1 undersized flathead  then got smashed by a 80cm monster. On 6lb and it running me right into the weeds I could not extract it and thing spat hook.

On a clear sandy area, I could take the fight but here I was thinking my bream to flathead ratio sucks and just fish the prawn so I can nab a whiting while I am at it.

Wasted another hour there to try find a other flatty to no success and changed location to caravan park to practice Surface lures and see if I could catch things on a vibe.

I can do Surface decently now. But if anyone who has experience with the zx40 please dm me for guidance

The moved to beach to practice pendulum casting which still require more work. I an hitting around 40 to 50 meters on a heavy side wind on PE 3 40 gram but if I used 60gram I could probably hit 70 to 80m and much further on lower wind. Caught nothing though the strong waves made it impossible to see slack line. If anyone has experience, please also advise and dm me on it. I could probably fish sydney harbour though

Then went to suss out fairlight at 3pm. Caught nothing due to heavy swimming traffic but found a great shore jigging spot.

Day was not a total Lost 

• Like 3

Sorry to hear about the big flatty. Still it’s pretty good to encounter a decent fish.

That article as old as time, but Narrabeen has always been like that, lots of weed at the edges. Often you’ll need to wade to get around it. I have had some success there fishing plastics weedless. Lures rigged that way normally come out unscathed.

• Like 1

Yes the lake is closed ATM and it doesn't fish well when that is the case.

Also the weed is probably at it's worst right now. That's partly a seasonal thing and a lot of it will clear as the water warms up but it really needs a good flush with heavy rain, but that won't be enough till the Council finishes the entrance clearing job that is underway and will maybe take another month.

I fish that area occasionally but always use SPs as they tolerate the weed. The flatties I've caught there are always just on the edge of the weed banks so no need to cast a long way out. Plenty of mullet jumping there currently if anyone knows how to catch them.

Cheers

Fil

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, LuckyFil said:

Yes the lake is closed ATM and it doesn't fish well when that is the case.

Also the weed is probably at it's worst right now. That's partly a seasonal thing and a lot of it will clear as the water warms up but it really needs a good flush with heavy rain, but that won't be enough till the Council finishes the entrance clearing job that is underway and will maybe take another month.

I fish that area occasionally but always use SPs as they tolerate the weed. The flatties I've caught there are always just on the edge of the weed banks so no need to cast a long way out. Plenty of mullet jumping there currently if anyone knows how to catch them.

Cheers

Fil

a little unweighted hook and bread is all you need, chuck a few pieces out as berley and they'll swarm over it

Edited by AlbertW
  • Like 1