Retro-fitting electric motor on fibreglass boat

seasponge

Depending on the boat, any fabrication place can make you a base, but if it’s suitable, you might be able to adapt something yourself. Post a picture of your front deck, not too close so we have no idea what we are looking at.

I wouldn't look at doing anything myself. Knowing my handyman skills I'll stuff it up and it'll end up on the bottom of the Hawkesbury the first time I deploy it!

I don't have the motor yet, am trying to confirm the feasibilty of mounting before I proceed. Photos of boat bow below.

20221030_163311.thumb.jpg.62520f563fb0250a1117eb223b38661a.jpg

20230210_124616.thumb.jpg.1a9deebade4711f43b08df23aa9a616a.jpg

11 minutes ago, Bryant fish said:

Good luck nice looking boat

Thanks. She's a nice ride. Before I got it, I'd promised myself my next boat would have an electric motor. Got this one to be more family friendly, but missing an electric! 

On 10/26/2023 at 4:12 PM, seasponge said:

What are mounting options for an electric motor on a 5m fibreglass boat? Would love to see some pics of how others have done it on their fibreglass boats (I'm picturing it not as easy as on an aluminium boat). 

I was looking into this a few years back for the Haines ... you may get some inspiration from this old post of mine. To Noel's point, whichever way you go, you will have to do something with the bow rail to allow deploying and stowing the leccy. I was very intrigued with the Cruise Craft approach where they modified the bow rail and incorporated it into making a platform for the electric. I had some sketches and was at the stage of getting a quite from a local s/s fabricator when the good wife and I decided to upgrade the boat. 

Best of luck with it.

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962