A monster eddy current is forming off Sydney. What is it, and will it bring a new marine heatwave?

leonardgid

hi there raiders , i just spoted this post on MSN  (the gardian )  they are talking  about ocean eddies  and how  ,  as we head into summer, the giant eddy is unlikely to go anywhere. If it moves towards the coast, where marine life is concentrated, we will see water temperatures spike – and possibly, underwater disaster for many species. anyone know more about them the last one we had was in 2021 ,  thought this may  interest some of you , 

Have seen them before over the years. Forecast to sit out off the coast for the next week.

I don't get concerned about it, will be bringing down some warmer water and maybe some tropical species with it. Some years ago when it happened, I pulled out an emperor species in Gunnamatta Bay, and about 20 years ago, I caught a spotted mackerel at Lilli Pilli.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, leonardgid said:

hi there raiders , i just spoted this post on MSN  (the gardian )  they are talking  about ocean eddies  and how  ,  as we head into summer, the giant eddy is unlikely to go anywhere. If it moves towards the coast, where marine life is concentrated, we will see water temperatures spike – and possibly, underwater disaster for many species. anyone know more about them the last one we had was in 2021 ,  thought this may  interest some of you , 

2021 lockdown(s) not much fishing for me 🫣😳😔

cheers Zoran 

12 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

For those interested and to give a sense of perspective where the hot water is - I have put a purple splat where Browns Mt roughly is - ie 40km SE off Sydney. 
IMG_2743.thumb.jpeg.c6566634774992e9a975dc61d1175034.jpeg

cheers Zoran 

I honestly don't know what "normal" is for that temperature map.  I have been screenshotting it into a single document since July so I can see the warm water coming, but I don't have any knowledge of what usual progress looks like.  I do know that in high summer, it's pretty much all orange.

Also, in science-y terms, a water temperature of 1 deg C over normal is a MAHOOSIVE rise.  

• Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 8:12 PM, zmk1962 said:

2021 lockdown(s) not much fishing for me 🫣😳😔

cheers Zoran 

So Zoran, is that why your fishing prowess has dropped off in recent times?  :074: 

You want me to show you how to catch a few?  😂:fisher:

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Yowie said:

So Zoran, is that why your fishing prowess has dropped off in recent times?  :074: 

You want me to show you how to catch a few?  😂:fisher:

Dear Dave, you’re either worried about me or you miss me. Either way I’ll pencil you down as crew for the next outing.  BUT I’m not sure you should be throwing stones mate, if you recall your last outing with me, the video evidence showed “someone was using lots of colourful language coz the fish wouldn’t stay on someone’s hooks ” …  just saying !

Cheers Z

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

if you recall your last outing with me, the video evidence showed “someone was using lots of colourful language coz the fish wouldn’t stay on someone’s hooks ” …  

Cheers Z

That's called "editing." Are you now a film producer?  "cut, cut, we need makeup"  😂

It seems this hot water eddy is having a devastating effect. I was on a Central Coast beach (don’t know it’s name) yesterday and there were heaps of dead shearwaters on the high tide mark. We did a rough estimate based on the distance we walked which came out at about 1000 dead birds for that beach alone. There was a scientist on tv saying this was due to the eddy starving the birds of food during a critical point in their migration, and then when hit with a bad storm they are not strong enough to survive.

im not sure what effect it will have on fish, but as we know it’s all interlinked.

41 minutes ago, Volitan said:

It seems this hot water eddy is having a devastating effect. I was on a Central Coast beach (don’t know it’s name) yesterday and there were heaps of dead shearwaters on the high tide mark. We did a rough estimate based on the distance we walked which came out at about 1000 dead birds for that beach alone. There was a scientist on tv saying this was due to the eddy starving the birds of food during a critical point in their migration, and then when hit with a bad storm they are not strong enough to survive.

im not sure what effect it will have on fish, but as we know it’s all interlinked.

Same down here on the south coast. There’s normally quite a few dead birds on our beaches around now, but this year is exceptional.