Going away

noelm

Going cruising to New Guinea in two weeks, never been there before, doing a few islands, the “Conflict Islands” look fantastic for diving. Going to try to have a fish. Kirriwinna also looks great. Seems some places are somewhat risky as far as safety is concerned, but (hopefully) we have that covered. Asked about medical issues and two GPs have said possibly Malaria precautions if you are considering any bushwalking, but, other than that, as long as your regular “stuff” is up to date (especially Tetanus) we should be fine. There will be me, my wife and my 17 year old grandson, plus a small group of friends, none of us have been before, so it’s “new” to us all. I will post some pictures when I get back. Not too sure that area in November is such a great idea, but it’s all set now, so we will just have to see how it goes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

That does sound good. Looking forward to a bit of a report on your experience when you get back Noel.

Yeah I hope it’s good, but as they say “you never know if you never go” might take my travel rod, or maybe just wing it and see what I can organise with some locals. It seems a few locals turn up in outrigger canoes and a few primitive boats to take tourists around that haven’t organised tours through the ship, so that’s my plan. Lots of diving from the shore, I have contacted a couple of people that went in March, and got some tips off them too, they claim the diving is some of the best they have experienced and they have been all over the world. One trip  I took my fly rod to Isle of Pines in New Caledonia and caught lots of fish off the beach, a few kids were following me, intrigued by my fly gear (and I am by no means a good fly fisherman) and they were so happy when I gave them the fish I caught.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Going cruising to New Guinea in two weeks, never been there before, doing a few islands, the “Conflict Islands” look fantastic for diving. Going to try to have a fish. Kirriwinna also looks great. Seems some places are somewhat risky as far as safety is concerned, but (hopefully) we have that covered. Asked about medical issues and two GPs have said possibly Malaria precautions if you are considering any bushwalking, but, other than that, as long as your regular “stuff” is up to date (especially Tetanus) we should be fine. There will be me, my wife and my 17 year old grandson, plus a small group of friends, none of us have been before, so it’s “new” to us all. I will post some pictures when I get back. Not too sure that area in November is such a great idea, but it’s all set now, so we will just have to see how it goes.

Maybe try for a hump headed wrasse!

No idea what to expect, most of the places we go are very remote, only cruise ships go there a couple of times a year, no other tourists, the big places I will probably either stay on the ship, or maybe book an organised historical tour, there is lots that go to war relics and caves and stuff, which might be interesting? Anyway, it’s a new experience, so we will just make the best of it. Have to get some local currency for the small places plus we will be taking lots of odds and ends for the local kids.

@noelm a few years ago a mate did some remote trips to unheard of Islands up North and what the locals used to catch fish with was very antiquated so what he did on leaving, leave as a gift a few lures or a bit of terminal tackle. He also was a keen underwater hunter so would leave some rubber 😉.

So if you had a little room on the bag and could squeeze these in, it may pay off.

Sounds great anyway.

• Like 1

Never thought of that, we have a few snorkeling sets to give away, plus some pencils and stuff that the cruise line told us would be very much needed. I will pack some fishing odds and ends too.

edit….we are staying at a mates place the day before, I might do some “shopping” at a local tackle store, that way space will not be an issue.

Edited by noelm

We will have lots of room, except to get the plane to the cruise terminal, when cruising there is no restriction on luggage, but Jetstar have a different view! My grandson and myself will be OK, but my wife will take a wardrobe full of clothes and shoes…..(it’s a lady thing)  what we usually do is keep the checked in luggage under the 20kg limit, but take a small back pack type thing to carry on, with allowable, but kind of heavy items, then transfer it all to the big bag once in Brisbane (wish it left from Sydney) anyway, not long now, we leave Sunday the 19th, from Brisbane. 

• 4 weeks later...

I’m home, very limited fishing, lots of local kids catching decent fish from the shore on hand lines wound around wood or plastic bottles. I will post some pictures later on, had a huge day getting home and going to do nothing today. Diving was the best I have experienced, Lobsters galore, so many fish, Sharks (small reef sharks) and huge Trevally, all within casting distance from shore! One tip…….it’s HOT in November, and not just hot, I mean, HOT!

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Good to see that you had a great time Noel. A good holiday is one where you come back wrecked and in need of another one...or a good rest at home. Cheers, bn

The holiday was great, getting home was a day of sitting, first a taxi to Brisbane Airport, then a 4 hour wait, plane late to Sydney….Uber to train station, wait for train, 13/4 hour train “sit” then lift home from station, started at 7AM, home at 8:30 PM, nothing bad, just a loooong day of getting on/in and out of transport.

• Sad 1

A few photos of “Conflict Islands” and “Kiriwina” note the fish BBQ/smoke, bottom left corner…..a big spiky Puffer Toad…no thanks! Some photos are not mine, but from various people in a group of 7.

IMG_5203.jpeg

IMG_6700.jpeg

IMG_6687.jpeg

IMG_5159.jpeg

IMG_5142.jpeg

IMG_5106.jpeg

IMG_0266.jpeg

IMG_0170.jpeg

IMG_5091.jpeg

• Like 4

How good is the full moon shot? That little group of tin sheds is a kind of village near the ship dock, hence the big fence to stop people getting into the port area, lots of kids fishing there, in Alotau, not a great town!. The water was beautiful, that shot of my wife and I standing in the water is where we saw/caught Lobsters on that small dark reef patch behind us, in knee deep water! They are a kind of red striped variety, not your regular tropical crays.

edit…..I just realised if you look close, you can see a kid fishing from the shore in the water.

Edited by noelm

A couple more. Those outrigger canoes you see, the locals will take you out, or tow you around to snorkel if you like, (for free) you can also hire a clear plastic kayak/canoe thing to paddle around like a glass bottom boat which is fun, they cost 25 Kina (about $12) an hour to hire. Most popular thing were thongs or crocs, the locals love them, most of us went back to the ship barefoot and some shirtless too!

IMG_5206.jpeg

IMG_5201.jpeg

IMG_5140.jpeg

IMG_5198.jpeg

IMG_5207.jpeg

Edited by noelm
Removed photo
  • Like 2

On a much more serious note, I met a kid about 10 or 12 maybe and he spoke good English, he had some sticky tape on his thumb, I asked him what was going on, he told me he cut his hand while cleaning a fish, when I had a look, it was very badly infected and I suggested he needs to see a doctor, he said “no doctor here, I just hope it gets better” I had no idea what to do, but, remembered there was a few nurses on the cruise that I met, and found them on the beach, being nurses and women, they thought of everything and had a tiny first aid kit in their bag. They cleaned his wound, put on some “stuff” and a proper bandage, let’s just hope it heals up! We just take things like that for granted.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, afa said:

cool

Yeah it is, it’s not really “touristy” if you get what I mean, there is only 3 or 4 ships a year go there, and the locals are trying to get tourist things sorted, all the kids get a day off school when a ship is in. They are fantastic people, and will do anything for you (out on the remote islands this is) and expect nothing, we gave them all sorts of stuff, including some local money. Most carried a hand made shoulder bag, the kid with the cut hand showed me his bag of stuff. There was a small knife (looked like a ships butter knife) a small plastic drink bottle he found and some string….go figure any of that stuff would be worth carrying around.

• Like 1

Cruising is not everyone’s cup of tea, we have debated that many times, but…….one night at dinner it was seafood night, all sorts of fish, Lobster and other odds and ends. Battered Oysters were on the menu, so I gave them a try, I must admit they were good, but, later that night I started thinking, we left Brisbane nearly 10 days ago…..I was sure I was going to die in my sleep, but no, all was good, no idea if you can freeze Oysters, or they kept them alive and shucked them (highly doubt that) or if they were just keep in the fridge, but, regardless, they were very nice. Not a huge Lobster fan, but it was great, grilled with a small pot of melted butter to dip it in. I had one plus the “Redfish” all were good quality.

27 minutes ago, noelm said:

On a much more serious note, I met a kid about 10 or 12 maybe and he spoke good English, he had some sticky tape on his thumb, I asked him what was going on, he told me he cut his hand while cleaning a fish, when I had a look, it was very badly infected and I suggested he needs to see a doctor, he said “no doctor here, I just hope it gets better” I had no idea what to do, but, remembered there was a few nurses on the cruise that I met, and found them on the beach, being nurses and women, they thought of everything and had a tiny first aid kit in their bag. They cleaned his wound, put on some “stuff” and a proper bandage, let’s just hope it heals up! We just take things like that for granted.

Nurses do that, they always have their "nurses hat" on. 

This looks like a very remote location. It looks so pristine and clean. I am sure the people love the cruise ships coming in. 

Did you guys enjoy the swim? What was the water temp like there?

Thanks for sharing the pics

• Like 2

3 hours ago, noelm said:

Cruising is not everyone’s cup of tea, we have debated that many times, but…….one night at dinner it was seafood night, all sorts of fish, Lobster and other odds and ends. Battered Oysters were on the menu, so I gave them a try, I must admit they were good, but, later that night I started thinking, we left Brisbane nearly 10 days ago…..I was sure I was going to die in my sleep, but no, all was good, no idea if you can freeze Oysters, or they kept them alive and shucked them (highly doubt that) or if they were just keep in the fridge, but, regardless, they were very nice. Not a huge Lobster fan, but it was great, grilled with a small pot of melted butter to dip it in. I had one plus the “Redfish” all were good quality.

My wife and I loved cruising Noel. Great food, lots of choices and about 20 hrs a day entertainment. There are some beautiful places not too far from Oz. As you say the locals are lovely people who don't have a lot but are happy any way. bn

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BaitDropper said:

Beautiful photo's...

That water looks crystal clear, sensational....

It was, I have dived all over the place, including the outer barrier reef, and this leaves it for dead, and right off the shore.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Nurses do that, they always have their "nurses hat" on. 

This looks like a very remote location. It looks so pristine and clean. I am sure the people love the cruise ships coming in. 

Did you guys enjoy the swim? What was the water temp like there?

Thanks for sharing the pics

Yep, swum all the time, water was toasty warm, even sooky la las like me just went straight in! The water right at the beach was “milky” from the sand, but once about knee/waist deep it was perfect, guessing 30-40m visibility. You can buy live Lobsters on the beach, they then boil or BBQ them while you wait, cost about $10-25 depending on the size, the big ones will be plenty for two people.

edit…….yep about the nurse thing!

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1