Kingies and a Crab

Larkin

Gday Raiders,

Headed out on Friday to meet up with a mate north of Botany. Plan was to go for some offshore Jewies. He had caught 4 over the last two weeks around the meter mark, but Friday nothing was biting for either of us - no Jews and no trags. Mate got a small Samsonfish & Morwong. 

On the way back in decided to troll the cliffs. Hooked a 40cm tailor on the first run, followed by a second that came off while mucking around with a second rod.

A little further down the cliffs hit a patch of kingies - 3 caught trolling skirts, all undersized. 

Gave my mate the tailor as he was supplying the fish for a bbq the next day.

Overall a very quiet day on the fish, but did manage to pull up my PB blue swimmer crab in one of the pots. Over two foot wide claw to claw (63cm) and legal measurement front to back went spot on 10cm. It was chock full of meat too!

GPTempDownload.thumb.jpeg.f312bb69e5dccf69a62eea85ed2ea6bd.jpegIMG_3404.thumb.jpeg.217e344e6230eda74e4fb9966f868f87.jpegIMG_3407.thumb.jpeg.177781e211e01e6cafbfedb8d31bf123.jpegIMG_3415.thumb.jpeg.6ac0f10bd5940e26f4ed5967cbcf4601.jpegIMG_3427.thumb.jpeg.cf767fb4da5e920bb55dd29242de98e5.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

A good day out.

Happy with the crab - and a bit of fun on the rats

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Scored again Chris — that is a really nice fat Kingie, well done and thanks for sharing.

Thanks Bob, like you I found the rats along the cliffs. Plenty of them out there - maybe a livie down below to weed out the smaller ones would have been the go - but had the winds coming so didn’t stick around.

42 minutes ago, Yowie said:

A few kingies to save the day, and a chopper.

Good idea to tie the crabs nippers, not good to have a loose angry crab on a ski. 😂

Bit of action on the way back - no bites all morning though. I think if I stayed local would of had a better day as I was sounding some good fish off the local reefs - threw out a Soft plastic into a school of fish which looked like snapper on the sounder - got a hit but no connect. Only gave it one cast and left as mate was waiting up north.

haha, no crabs come out of the traps until I’ve wrapped an elastic band around each nipper. 

8 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Well done Larkin, better than nothing.

Thanks Isaac, no cleaning was a bonus lol

was very happy with the crab - it had so much meat inside. Made a crab linguine - one of my favourite seafood dishes I like to cook. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Sounds like a good outing Chris, shame about the Jewies not playing ball! Still, I bet the crab went down a treat!

Thanks Mike! No bites for a few hours, then a small foul hooked leatherjacket followed by a sergeant baker lol. 

Still had a great time out there.

• Like 1