Is this covered under Shimano warranty?

Gengar

Hi raiders

I have a shimano sienna reel (about three years old now) where the bail arm flips back over when I cast. It doesn't happen all the time but happens often enough for it to be annoying. It also tends to cause windknots which further adds to the annoyance. I have a feeling its happened since i opened it up and to try to lub it. Anyway I know its not a technique issue as it doesn't happen with any of my other rods besides I cast using the method taught by derek! I am pretty sure i put everything back in its place but maybe I haven't?!?

Anyway was wondering if anyone knows it would be still be covered by the shimano warranty (i think its 10 years) given I have opened it? I know with most goods warranty (eg electrical) is void once you remove the cover but not sure about reels.

Cheers

Gengar

5 hours ago, Gengar said:

Hi raiders

I have a shimano sienna reel (about three years old now) where the bail arm flips back over when I cast. It doesn't happen all the time but happens often enough for it to be annoying. It also tends to cause windknots which further adds to the annoyance. I have a feeling its happened since i opened it up and to try to lub it. Anyway I know its not a technique issue as it doesn't happen with any of my other rods besides I cast using the method taught by derek! I am pretty sure i put everything back in its place but maybe I haven't?!?

Anyway was wondering if anyone knows it would be still be covered by the shimano warranty (i think its 10 years) given I have opened it? I know with most goods warranty (eg electrical) is void once you remove the cover but not sure about reels.

Cheers

Gengar

You can only take it back to a Shimano agent with your proof of purchase and ask if it is a warranty job. My personal thought is that it probably won't be, given that you may have done something to it outside of their framework of usage. However, it is definitely worth asking as companies that offer 10 yr warranty are usually proud of the products that they sell. The Sienna is the bottom of their range in quality and price but I would definitely ask the question. There is no harm in asking, you may be pleasantly surprised to find that they are willing to fix the issue. Would you please post (on here) how you get on? The information would be helpful to many others who use their products. Good luck, bn

• Like 1

Hi Mate.

If Shimano doesn't cover it. Get in touch with <business removed >. He is based in Bribie island, i just posted a few couple weeks ago, all reels repairs, upgraded drags and full service. He is on FB.

Edited by Little_Flatty
Cannot promote businesses not related to Deckee. Pm crabstar for details.
  • Like 2

Have a look at this video, the mechanism is pretty simple and I would say that something moved when you took the cover off . I doubt they will do it under warranty but it probably wouldn’t cost much for them to do it anyway . If you look carefully at the video you will see the spring loaded rod goes into a hole in the bail arm and the trip rod sits in the cavity above the hole .

IMG_0393.thumb.jpeg.0228d2610c100f11c59154a1cb621017.jpeg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, big Neil said:

You can only take it back to a Shimano agent with your proof of purchase and ask if it is a warranty job. My personal thought is that it probably won't be, given that you may have done something to it outside of their framework of usage. However, it is definitely worth asking as companies that offer 10 yr warranty are usually proud of the products that they sell. The Sienna is the bottom of their range in quality and price but I would definitely ask the question. There is no harm in asking, you may be pleasantly surprised to find that they are willing to fix the issue. Would you please post (on here) how you get on? The information would be helpful to many others who use their products. Good luck, bn

No problem will definitely provide an update!

I have just followed the video shared with XD351 to reattach the bail arm and will see if that helps.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, XD351 said:

Have a look at this video, the mechanism is pretty simple and I would say that something moved when you took the cover off . I doubt they will do it under warranty but it probably wouldn’t cost much for them to do it anyway . If you look carefully at the video you will see the spring loaded rod goes into a hole in the bail arm and the trip rod sits in the cavity above the hole .

IMG_0393.thumb.jpeg.0228d2610c100f11c59154a1cb621017.jpeg

Thanks so much for sharing. I have just taken the bail arm off and followed the video you shared. My sienna only has the one hole and not the two in your screenshot but I think the spring loaded rod goes into that hole. Anyway i just need to respool the reel (had taken the line off couple of days ago) to take it out for a spin. Will report back!

It looks like a hole in the photo but I think it is more of a rectangular slot . 
I probably should have positioned the arrow a little better as the point is right on a feature that looks like a round hole but is probably from the ejector pin in the die which pushes the part out after casting .

Edited by XD351
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1