First Topwater Bream

If you havce read my recent post you will know that DerekD had taken me under his wing and given me help with my casting and also started teaching me about topwater lure fishing. Then 2 days later I got a message from him saying he was going for a late afternoon fishing session and asking if I would like to join him. Is the Pope Catholic? Does a one-legged duck swim in circles? Of course I jumped at the opportunity to practice the lessons from my first session and hopefully also learn something else.

So after a quick stop at my favourite tackle shop to buy some bent minnows another Sugapen and a splash prawn it was time to rig up and get fishing. Just like the first session with him DerekD just put me at ease and quietly watched as I started casting a Sugapen over the sandflat. I will let him comment on my casting style if he feels inclinmed, but I felt my style had definitely improved dramatically and I was casting much more accurately. I also felt that I was definitely casting further than I used to.

DerekD was tutoring my style wirth the Sugapen and then suggested I switch to the bent minnow due to the different retrieve style to work on. He pointe3d where to cast and I was pleased to be able to nail it a lot of the time. I also got to see the swirls of bream striking at his lyure. With this under my belt he coached me on a particular spot he wanted me to cast to beside a pontoon. Before the lure was back in I had a swirl followed by my first hookup. It was only a small bream (see the first photo below) but I could not have been happier if it was a 40cm granddad. My first topwater bream on my first ever outing!!
As the afternoon went on I managed to hook and land another bream - a lot larger this time and may even have been just legal but it wwent back all the same. I also lost another nice bream just at the bank.

I have to be honest and say that I don't knopw who was more excited by my fish - me or DerekD. His patience and advice has already made a big difference for me and I am most certainly now hooked on topwater lure fishing. I can't wait to try more of it as it was such good fun with the added bonus of walking around in the fresh air and exercising with the casting. Next goal is a keeper whiting.

Cheers

Rob

bream1.jpeg

bream2.jpeg

bream2a.jpeg

• Like 19

2 minutes ago, XD351 said:

Awesome! Great report as well! 
Hope that is the first of many !

I used to fish the sandflats in Port Hacking as a kid and young adult (a lifetime ago) for bream and whiting on worms and nippers so it felt good being back in shallow water.  But this is sooo different and so much fun. I like the fact it is an active fishing style rather than passive.

• Like 2

Fantastic work @Robbo from Sydney! I have a dirty secret to admit; in spite of having fished lures for decades and also knowing @DerekD, I haven’t yet caught a topwater bream!

I know I should fix that, but I’m just too side tracked by other distractions, like fly fishing (which Derek is also partly responsible for) 🤣 

So you’re one up on me. Testament to Derek’s tutelage.

Hi @Robbo from Sydney

While you still have some work to do on the topwater retrieve with the Sugapen it is good to see it coming together. Where you particularly impressed me is in the smoothness and efficiency of your casting. That you were capable of hitting the same distances I can with these light lures is a great indication of how far you have come in two sessions. Can't wait to hear what your regular fishing buddy thinks when you have improved out of sight. Just tell him you watched some YouTube clips (that is kind of true).

The bream will be the greatest critics of your lure technique and that you hooked up three shows you are heading in the right direction. For the record I had a donut but I was in teach mode (leave me some dignity 😁 ).

Congratulations once again on the topwater bream and I'm looking forward to reading more of these excellent reports as your lure fishing abilities grow.

Regards,

Derek

PS thank you very much for the bent minnow. How did you know that one was my favourite colour?

Edited by DerekD

35 minutes ago, DerekD said:

Hi @Robbo from Sydney

While you still have some work to do on the topwater retrieve with the Sugapen it is good to see it coming together. Where you particularly impressed me is in the smoothness and efficiency of your casting. That you were capable of hitting the same distances I can with these light lures is a great indication of how far you have come in two sessions. Can't wait to hear what your regular fishing buddy thinks when you have improved out of sight. Just tell him you watched some YouTube clips (that is kind of true).

The bream will be the greatest critics of your lure technique and that you hooked up three shows you are heading in the right direction. For the record I had a donut but I was in teach mode (leave me some dignity 😁 ).

Congratulations once again on the topwater bream and I'm looking forward to reading more of these excellent reports as your lure fishing abilities grow.

Regards,

Derek

PS thank you very much for the bent minnow. How did you know that one was my favourite colour?

Sensei ,I can't thank you enough for all the knowledge and encouragement you have given me. I will be working the Sugapen in the pool (when I can't get to salt water) to try to improve my action with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bennyg78 said:

Well done Rob! great job on those bream, Keep up the work! I have no doubt we will be hearing many more reports from you

Thanks Benny and yes there will be more reports in future - even on the donut days

8 minutes ago, corro said:

Never caught a bream on a lure so you're outdoing me! Nice one.

Thanks Corro - it is great fun and worth the effort 

What a great post Rob. Congratulations on your successes with topwater lure fishing. As has been mentioned it's not the easiest thing to do and to get a result. Derek is an excellent tutor who has the patience of Job. You are the right sort of person for him to teach as you are keen to change plans and catch up with your tutoring.

I wish you continued luck as you get out more and practice what you have learned. Good luck on the topwater Whiting. I'll look forward to your report.

Cheers, bn

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

What a great post Rob. Congratulations on your successes with topwater lure fishing. As has been mentioned it's not the easiest thing to do and to get a result. Derek is an excellent tutor who has the patience of Job. You are the right sort of person for him to teach as you are keen to change plans and catch up with your tutoring.

I wish you continued luck as you get out more and practice what you have learned. Good luck on the topwater Whiting. I'll look forward to your report.

Cheers, bn

Thanks Neil.  DerekD has already invested time in me so I have to repay that by lots of practice so I will be able to make that lure irresistible to the fish

• Like 1