Port Hacking 8/12

Crabstar

Evening.

Well as per previous posts nightshifts have hampered my summer, so in terms of fishing so i bit the bullet and finished my shift Friday morning 330am and went home and hooked the trailer straight up and headed to swallow rock. Arrived at the ramp at 5am extremely tired and said "why do i do this for". Dunked the boat in and turned the engine over all of a sudden i was wide awake. Haha lets go.

Really wanted to go offshore to the 50m mark in search of some flatties but was greeted with a mess. Sloppy with a 15-20knott NE wind. Yuck. Decided to squid for 2 hours in hope conditions would subside, na it didnt. End result two squid for jew baits in a week or two.

Headed over to spot X for some blue swimmers, was in luck. But did you think i could land them in the net? Nope, after hooking several blue swimmers they just kept letting the bait go on the surface and they were to quick for the net (extremally hard to do solo)

Cracked open a bud light and had a sleep while crabbing, nek minute it was 11am, time to put my tail between my legs and head home.

• Like 8

That is so annoying when the conditions don't work out.   With the Blue Swimmers letting go, i have seen on a fishing show when they are close to the boat but below the surface  dropping the rod tip in the water and wrapping them in fishing line before they pet go. It might be worth a try. 

• Like 2

I always admire anglers who go fishing against their better judgement, like you did. Pity you weren't able to get out for some Flatties and the crabs were a bit uncooperative, but you gave it a shot and next time may be better. Good onya for giving it your best shot.    bn

• Like 1

Crabs can be a bit difficult at times to net. Just let go of the bait near the surface, especially if they see the net coming up.

Most of us use enviro type nets - very small mesh which means the net is slow to move through the water. The crab will outswim the net most times. Sometimes I have let go of the line then scooped with both hands before the crab can swim off.

A net with larger mesh is better for netting crabs - the net moves faster through the water, most crabs will not outswim it.

Prawning nets are the best, HOWEVER, crabs tangle up and tear the net. 🙁 My only mud crab was caught in a prawn net (was prawning at the time) and ripped the net to pieces. Took it home in the mangled net, put it on the floor, the crab escaped, mum not happy with an angry mud crab scurrying about on the kitchen floor. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

51 minutes ago, Yowie said:

My only mud crab was caught in a prawn net (was prawning at the time) and ripped the net to pieces. Took it home in the mangled net, put it on the floor, the crab escaped, mum not happy with an angry mud crab scurrying about on the kitchen floor. 

Ungrateful! I would’ve thought a feed of mudcrab would’ve been gratefully received!

That said, the same situation in my current household would likely see a cranky wife and two freaked out kids🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Ungrateful! I would’ve thought a feed of mudcrab would’ve been gratefully received!

That said, the same situation in my current household would likely see a cranky wife and two freaked out kids🤣

Mum was quick to start eating once it was cooked and cooled. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Yowie said:

Crabs can be a bit difficult at times to net. Just let go of the bait near the surface, especially if they see the net coming up.

Most of us use enviro type nets - very small mesh which means the net is slow to move through the water. The crab will outswim the net most times. Sometimes I have let go of the line then scooped with both hands before the crab can swim off.

A net with larger mesh is better for netting crabs - the net moves faster through the water, most crabs will not outswim it.

Prawning nets are the best, HOWEVER, crabs tangle up and tear the net. 🙁 My only mud crab was caught in a prawn net (was prawning at the time) and ripped the net to pieces. Took it home in the mangled net, put it on the floor, the crab escaped, mum not happy with an angry mud crab scurrying about on the kitchen floor. 

I am picturing you and your mum doing some funny looking dance moves across the kitchen floor 🤣.  

Those Environets sure are slow in the water. 

Edited by Welster
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Welster said:

I am picturing you and your mum doing some funny looking dance moves across the kitchen floor 🤣.  

Well, the crab was getting a bit agro, trying to nip us, so I picked up a large metal cooking spoon, held it near the crab and I could hear the claws cracking as it grabbed the spoon. Mum said, you are not putting that thing in my fridge or freezer. so I let it sit in the corner with the spoon.

An hour or more later, the crab was still getting agro with the spoon, so I boiled up a big pot of water and tossed the crab and spoon into it to cook. Not the best way to cook crabs, but when it was finished cooking, it was still tightly holding the spoon. 

Angry mud crabs are evil critters  🤣, and fast with those nippers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2