Fibreglass layup

garfield28

Hi everyone, 

Look like finally having a crack at my transom, problem is I don't know where to start. My transom is a pod style transom as mentioned on this forum before, so not a traditional straight across the back flat transom, but would it still be the same layup as a traditional transom? I had a bloke lined up he was gonna have a look last week and tell me what he wanted done to speed up the process so he could take it off my hands and complete the work for me, but haven't heard anything so thinking stuff it I'm gonna start on it myself while off over Christmas. I think my stringers are ok so hopefully won't take too long to knock over the transom and get back on the water. 

I have no idea so If anyone can pass on any info on a website where I can get information on how many layers of glass and what type of glass I should use that would be great. As stated on this forum a fair while ago I started to rip at it but started from the outside instead of the inside, that I later found out is the better way to do it. 

Thanks
Geoff 

There is a guy on the tube with a comprehensive series on doing up his Haines - includes stringer & transom. Cannot recall his name or chanell so do a search on Haines Hunter would be my recommendation. He goes into a lot of detail on different chop sizes etc Very thorough.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Boy, I gotta say Geoff,  Prep and gaining knowledge first is the key if you haven't done a transom before. 

Without doubt, the difference between a good job and a job that will fail, is a real fine line.

There's a heap of pages on face book and utube that you could research first, which I thoroughly recommend you do. Have a plan, take a heap of notes and talk to as many people as you can. There will be the ones that say a transom must be done from the inside only, yep, that'll work, but so will doing from the outside as well, perfectly fine either way.

If your handy, then it would be an interesting project,,, I was lucky, mate owned a fibre glass shop, but I was on hand during all the stages, but that was way different, having someone experienced on hand to ask the question there and then.

If that bloke is still around, I would try and touch base with him, someone experienced makes a heap of difference when doing one first time..

Good luck Geoff, make sure we see some progress Pics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BaitDropper said:

Boy, I gotta say Geoff,  Prep and gaining knowledge first is the key if you haven't done a transom before. 

Without doubt, the difference between a good job and a job that will fail, is a real fine line.

There's a heap of pages on face book and utube that you could research first, which I thoroughly recommend you do. Have a plan, take a heap of notes and talk to as many people as you can. There will be the ones that say a transom must be done from the inside only, yep, that'll work, but so will doing from the outside as well, perfectly fine either way.

If your handy, then it would be an interesting project,,, I was lucky, mate owned a fibre glass shop, but I was on hand during all the stages, but that was way different, having someone experienced on hand to ask the question there and then.

If that bloke is still around, I would try and touch base with him, someone experienced makes a heap of difference when doing one first time..

Good luck Geoff, make sure we see some progress Pics.

Hey, thanks baitdropper. 

I have done some fibreglass work on my boat already but yeah never a transom. I could follow the YouTube vids on how to do it but my transom isn't a traditional transom straight across the back mine is more like a pod but it isn't if that makes sense. 

I think I could do it but I don't know what resin I should use, my boat was built late 90's early 2000's I believe so I gather it would have been polyester resin used on the glass, so that means I also need to use polyester resin? Also, I don't know what glass to use and how many layers, I believe there's a mixture of 450 chopped strand, and also double bias cloth? This is where I need the help. 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, garfield28 said:

Hey, thanks baitdropper. 

I have done some fibreglass work on my boat already but yeah never a transom. I could follow the YouTube vids on how to do it but my transom isn't a traditional transom straight across the back mine is more like a pod but it isn't if that makes sense. 

I think I could do it but I don't know what resin I should use, my boat was built late 90's early 2000's I believe so I gather it would have been polyester resin used on the glass, so that means I also need to use polyester resin? Also, I don't know what glass to use and how many layers, I believe there's a mixture of 450 chopped strand, and also double bias cloth? This is where I need the help. 

Thanks 

So are you going to repair it from the inside? It's not clear from my reading. Are you say it has a curved transom? If so repairing from the inside would be the way to go. Polyester resin would be suitable in that case. It's normal to mix layers of chopped strand and double bias. Also 450g is not very heavy. You could go to 800g for extra strength (lighter weights are used for more delicate work such as sharp angles). Another thought is that you could make into a straight transom to simplify the repair.

Edited by slowjigger

12 hours ago, dunc333 said:

if its a pod dont you just buy the new pod and bolt and siker it on .? . if not a great guy on the tube is called boatworkstoday .hes a true pro follow his vids hes very very good cheers dunc333

Dunc333, not a pod mate, it's a pod style transom. I have attached a pic of it 

IMG20210307133421.jpg

12 hours ago, slowjigger said:

So are you going to repair it from the inside? It's not clear from my reading. Are you say it has a curved transom? If so repairing from the inside would be the way to go. Polyester resin would be suitable in that case. It's normal to mix layers of chopped strand and double bias. Also 450g is not very heavy. You could go to 800g for extra strength (lighter weights are used for more delicate work such as sharp angles). Another thought is that you could make into a straight transom to simplify the repair.

Hi Jigger, I'd be doing it from the outside as I already got a start on it a while ago from the outside. 

11 hours ago, garfield28 said:

Hi Jigger, I'd be doing it from the outside as I already got a start on it a while ago from the outside. 

OK in that case I would use epoxy resin as it has better adhesive qualities. I don't think it is compatible with chopped strand though. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, slowjigger said:

OK in that case I would use epoxy resin as it has better adhesive qualities. I don't think it is compatible with chopped strand though. 

So I can use epoxy resin even though the current one on the boat would more than likely be polyester? I thought I saw a video or read somewhere that that the resin needs to be matched unless I strip the whole lot back ? 

7 hours ago, garfield28 said:

So I can use epoxy resin even though the current one on the boat would more than likely be polyester? I thought I saw a video or read somewhere that that the resin needs to be matched unless I strip the whole lot back ? 

You can't put polyester over epoxy but epoxy over polyester is fine and the way to go if you are repairing from the outside. 

• Like 1