How to use soft plastics/micro metals in relatively deep water

lhan

Hi all,

My very first post here - so if anything inappropriate please be kind to me 😅

Just started fishing for a couple of months and pretty new to lure fishing. I tried soft plastics and small metals around Rhodes/Meadowbank area in Sydney and got some nice flatties/bream/tailor. However, when I tried the same in relatively deep/fast water like Sydney harbour or middle harbour, it seems the method/lure is not as effective. I suspect it's because the lure really needs to hit the bottom to target the species while it's kinda hard for the weight I was using - 1/6oz jig head and 10-15g metal. But I do see people using light gear to catch quite impressive things around harbour area so I'm really confused.

The techniques I was using is pretty basic tho - for SP I was using swim slimz so just double twitch, sink and slow retrieve, for metals I just slow retrieve and let it sink and repeat.

Other than the bread and butter species I would also like to target some pelagics like bonitos and even kingies. If anyone could give me some advice and potential land based safe spots (no spots naming just some hints would be nice) I would really appreciate.

The last question is about top water lures - they seem quite effective from what I read but I didn't really catch anything yet using them. I have NMD splash prawn and jackall chubby shallow. Is it true they're only effective during the morning? What's the most suitable situation to use them? I feels that SP is more versatile than them as I did catch different things during different time of a day.

P.S. my lure gear is a medium light 3-5kg 7'2 savage gear black ii combo, 2000 reel spooled with 15lb braid

Sorry for the rather long questions and thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Hi and welcome.

While you wait for some answers try using our search engine for answers. 

There is also a section called Articles that will cover most things you need to know. Here is a link https://community.deckee.com/forum/99-articles/

Good Luck and look forward to your reports 

Glad to see your introduce yourself post Henry :1clap:thanks

• Like 1

Hi @lhan,

Welcome aboard. Where in Sydney are you based.

You read my article on your first light lure outfit. Did you get far enough down to read the section on topwater lures as an additional section in that same post?

Those topwater lures are effective the whole day but you need to find some areas where the fish are and that involves covering ground (such as the bay run in Sydney).

Regards,

Derek

PS that 15lb braid will cut into your casting distance on light lures. I've got a light lure outfit on which I can hit up to 35m with a 70mm sugapen reasonably consistently (not all the time but even the not so good casts are hitting over 25m).

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, lhan said:

Hi all,

My very first post here - so if anything inappropriate please be kind to me 😅

Just started fishing for a couple of months and pretty new to lure fishing. I tried soft plastics and small metals around Rhodes/Meadowbank area in Sydney and got some nice flatties/bream/tailor. However, when I tried the same in relatively deep/fast water like Sydney harbour or middle harbour, it seems the method/lure is not as effective. I suspect it's because the lure really needs to hit the bottom to target the species while it's kinda hard for the weight I was using - 1/6oz jig head and 10-15g metal. But I do see people using light gear to catch quite impressive things around harbour area so I'm really confused.

The techniques I was using is pretty basic tho - for SP I was using swim slimz so just double twitch, sink and slow retrieve, for metals I just slow retrieve and let it sink and repeat.

Other than the bread and butter species I would also like to target some pelagics like bonitos and even kingies. If anyone could give me some advice and potential land based safe spots (no spots naming just some hints would be nice) I would really appreciate.

The last question is about top water lures - they seem quite effective from what I read but I didn't really catch anything yet using them. I have NMD splash prawn and jackall chubby shallow. Is it true they're only effective during the morning? What's the most suitable situation to use them? I feels that SP is more versatile than them as I did catch different things during different time of a day.

P.S. my lure gear is a medium light 3-5kg 7'2 savage gear black ii combo, 2000 reel spooled with 15lb braid

Sorry for the rather long questions and thanks in advance!

I wouldn't fish sydney harbour deep areas without at least 3/8 ounce to 1/2 ounce. Blades are also a option

Bream In the harbour are a pain in the backside. While I can now get them with sp in parra the clearer water in harbour makes them extra finicky.unless surface lures( @DerekD has great success on it)or very low conditions 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hi @lhan,

Welcome aboard. Where in Sydney are you based.

You read my article on your first light lure outfit. Did you get far enough down to read the section on topwater lures as an additional section in that same post?

Those topwater lures are effective the whole day but you need to find some areas where the fish are and that involves covering ground (such as the bay run in Sydney).

Regards,

Derek

PS that 15lb braid will cut into your casting distance on light lures. I've got a light lure outfit on which I can hit up to 35m with a 70mm sugapen reasonably consistently (not all the time but even the not so good casts are hitting over 25m).

Thanks for the reply @DerekD Your first light lure outfit article actually landed me from google search - great write! It's my very starting point for my lure setup even tho I opted for a slightly heavier setup (3-5kg).

I usually fish around middle harbour - north bridge area.

Yes I did read the topwater lure part of your article and got the jackall chubby (sadly snagged one already) and MMD splash prawn. But as you said maybe I just didn't find the right spot and cover as much as I can. I def will try them more - but lure fishing sometimes can get myself questioning my choice for a bit.

I agree with the 15lbs is really overkill and bad for casting distance. I'll change them when the spool is running low.

Thank you!

10 hours ago, faker said:

I wouldn't fish sydney harbour deep areas without at least 3/8 ounce to 1/2 ounce. Blades are also a option

Bream In the harbour are a pain in the backside. While I can now get them with sp in parra the clearer water in harbour makes them extra finicky.unless surface lures( @DerekD has great success on it)or very low conditions 

Thank you @faker! I'll try those options next time