Heading off with the COW

big Neil

Nipping up to Orange for a few days. One of the grandkids has developed a sudden passion for fishing and I aim to give him a few clues whilst there. Should be fun.

On a more serious note, I am enjoying the comfort of the new COW but it's doing my head in with all this daily technology intervention. BEEPS, BELLS, and WHISTLES...and I haven't even gotten out of the garage. Everything is supposed to operate via the mobile phone, and I don't even know how to use it properly. Anyway, these things are sent to try us and they are playing their role well.

Happy and Healthy 2024 to you all. I will endeavour to catch up with some of you in the new year and continue to post and comment on things relevant on Fishraider.

Cheers, bn

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

So I am back from Orange to find the gale force wind from the recent storm has blown off part of the fascia and broken a roof tile. The fascia also knocked the cover off the solar inverter but (luckily) no damage to the inverter.

The COW went well and my daughter was able to turn off some of the very annoying bells and whistles... not all but enough to maintain sanity.

I did a bit of research on fishing near to Orange and FrankS helped out with some excellent spots to have a look at in the region. Thanks Frank...beautiful areas you suggested. 

After a late morning arrival I set up my gear and James gear for some potential Carp fishing. Tried Lake Canobolas for 4 hrs using bread, worms, and corn kernels...not even a bite. There were others fishing too, and they suffered the same result. We also tried Spring Creek Reservoir and Gosling Creek Reserve for ZERO fish.

The next full day we set off to explore the area where Frank suggested...OPHIR. What a cracking place this was. Spectacular views, beautiful Trout streams, Gold panning, and hundreds of people camping and enjoying the regions offerings and beauty. What a cracking place. Fishing wise, it looked very fishy but my lack of mobility coupled with James lack of ability left us fishless again. That was alright and we headed back to Orange quite weary at days end.

The next day I was up early and changed the rods and reels over to suit Murray Cod and Yellowbelly fishing. James and I set off for an 80 minute trip to Forbes and the Lachlan River. I have fished the Lachlan before North of Griffith at Hillston and Booligal. Caught Cod, Yellas and Carp in there so I knew its potential. We drove round for over an hour and found some beautiful spots, if you had the agility of a mountain goat. Eventually, we found a place where we could get to the water's edge with a bit of effort. It was well worth it though. I hooked a good Cod with the first cast but lost it on the retrieve, James also had a hook up but lost it too. A few corrective words of wisdom and a bit of encouragement saw James get 2 very hefty Carp, perfectly angled into the waiting net. I managed one also but that was irrelevant as the mission was accomplished. Just need to work on the patience side of things, but that will come in time. Last night I went through the Uni knot with him until he had it down pat.

Conclusion: There are NO FISH in or around Orange...LOL. There is some beautiful scenery to be enjoyed. And finally, James is coming down here to go out in my boat, fishing for Cod. Next school hols.

20231231_152242-Copylachlanforbes.thumb.jpg.c9c3dcc31248e40575df24ae80b3818c.jpg

Thanks for reading, bn

• Like 10

Nice one Neil. The carp would've been exciting for James.

That he stayed fishing with you those few days shows he's got what it takes.

I had the same poor experience fishing Lake Canabolas, but I think my tally of freshwater fish (other than carp) can be counted on one hand!

• Haha 1

Is it ..

Kayak....... shortened to Yak....

then as a Yak is a bovine (sort of) animal....  renamed to a COW...

(apt name for a kayak really...😁)

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a cow??

7 hours ago, dmck said:

Is it ..

Kayak....... shortened to Yak....

then as a Yak is a bovine (sort of) animal....  renamed to a COW...

(apt name for a kayak really...😁)

Sorry guys you must have missed my earlier post about getting the new COW.

I am an old person and consequently have great difficulty with all things technology-based. The COW is my new car. It's a computer on wheels (COW).

I like your line of thinking dmck.

bn