First Whiting on a Lure

Like @Little_Flatty I ventured down to the Clontarf flats this morning for a fish.  Unlike his fly fishing I was tossing my Sugapen around searching for whiting. It was very quiet on the fish front (unlike the dogs enjoying themselves in the shallow water) and it was some time before I started seeing some small whiting showing a bit of interest.  But no takers, until bang and I was on.  I didn't see any swirl or other sign before the lure was taken. 

I have always loved the fight of whiting on light line but it was even more exciting to play my first on a lure. It is a long time since I have caught a whiting and it has certainly brought back a lot of good memories of fishing in the Port Hacking and on the flats in Gunnamatta Bay. Anyway, it was a reasonable size fish and went straight on ice.  The wife has always loved whiting so we enjoyed whiting crudo as an entree tonight - got a few brownie points for that!

So I am no longer a topwater whiting virgin  and am keen to get back out there as often as I can on these sunny days. But I know I still have a lot of practice of walking the dog with my Sugapen ahead of me before I have a chance of passing  @DerekD's skill test!!!

First whiting.jpg

Rob and whting.jpg

Brag mat whiting.jpg

• Like 14

That’s a great whiting on a surface lure well done! Interesting you saw no sign of the whiting before it took your lure. Sometimes I see the whiting following, particular if there’s a few of them competing, but other times as in your experience it is a subtle take off the surface. Congrats again and continue persisting with the surface lures - now is the time of year for it.

Congratulations @Robbo from Sydney.

First of probably many. Although you haven't passed my walk the dog course (you need to get good enough to be able to do a tight walk the dog with a 70mm Sugapen all the way in on a long cast and be able to do it two times in a row to pass the course) the fish will be your biggest critics. You have gotten good enough to pull three bream in on a bent minnow and a decent whiting on a Sugapen.

It was a pleasure to catch up with you for the afternoon session yesterday. I was impressed with your toadfish on topwater. In some ways it beats my 35cm bream on topwater and @HenryR whiting on topwater during the same session.

Regards,

Derek

PS. Said bream on MMD splash prawn on a super long cast over the flats.

02012024711.thumb.jpg.0d76844a6e24ea1cb8c7b9ea77f012b9.jpg

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Way to go @Robbo from Sydney, a meritorious catch - well done.. Now you’ve achieved your first, you’ll be hooked on top water “flicking”. Looking forward to your future reports.

Thanks Pickles.  My boat is currently away "on holiday" with its co-owner so am land based for the week but trying to make the most of it.

9 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

That's awesome, whiting are great fish to catch especially on surface

Hopefully the first of many for you

Thanks Dirvin.  Even better than the fish is being out on the sandflats in the morning sun - just a delight

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FishingFables said:

That’s a great whiting on a surface lure well done! Interesting you saw no sign of the whiting before it took your lure. Sometimes I see the whiting following, particular if there’s a few of them competing, but other times as in your experience it is a subtle take off the surface. Congrats again and continue persisting with the surface lures - now is the time of year for it.

So true. Last time I was there I could see them following but maybe it was the breeze ruffling the water made it harder to see them. Thanks for the encouragement

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DerekD said:

Congratulations @Robbo from Sydney.

First of probably many. Although you haven't passed my walk the dog course (you need to get good enough to be able to do a tight walk the dog with a 70mm Sugapen all the way in on a long cast and be able to do it two times in a row to pass the course) the fish will be your biggest critics. You have gotten good enough to pull three bream in on a bent minnow and a decent whiting on a Sugapen.

It was a pleasure to catch up with you for the afternoon session yesterday. I was impressed with your toadfish on topwater. In some ways it beats my 35cm bream on topwater and @HenryR whiting on topwater during the same session.

Regards,

Derek

PS. Said bream on MMD splash prawn on a super long cast over the flats.

02012024711.thumb.jpg.0d76844a6e24ea1cb8c7b9ea77f012b9.jpg

Hi Derek it was a pleasure to catch up with you again yesterday for a second lesson and then a session on some different sand flats - but boy am I feeling it today after all the standing, walking and casting!  Always good to meet another Fishraider -  @HenryR  certainly had a successful session, but that bream of yours was a beauty and it was so good to watch you play it in.

• Like 1