Powerbait Trout Nuggets - will they catch other fish?

Hi all!

I've got 2 opened cans of Berkley Powerbait Trout Nuggets and fake salmon eggs, leftover from my trip to Kosciuszko. I don't plan on going trout fishing within next few months at least, so I'm afraid it will go to waste if I leave it in my garage... 

My feeling is that it might work as bait for other species - it smells (well, to me, I'm not a fish, I dunno...) like any other fish attractant and so I presume it might interest some other fish apart from trout? What do you guys think? Have anyone tried using powerbait for other species?  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sashkello said:

Hi all!

I've got 2 opened cans of Berkley Powerbait Trout Nuggets and fake salmon eggs, leftover from my trip to Kosciuszko. I don't plan on going trout fishing within next few months at least, so I'm afraid it will go to waste if I leave it in my garage... 

My feeling is that it might work as bait for other species - it smells (well, to me, I'm not a fish, I dunno...) like any other fish attractant and so I presume it might interest some other fish apart from trout? What do you guys think? Have anyone tried using powerbait for other species?  

Unlikely they contain something specific to Trout so I reckon they should work on other species. Please post your efforts to prove / disprove their capability. I'm sure there are lots of us who would be interested to know how you go. Good luck. Cheers, bn

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sashkello said:

OK, so I'll be the one to find out then. Will give it a try when go out next time and report back :)

I don’t know much about these nuggets, but assume if you mashed some up for berley, that would improve your chances greatly.

• Like 2

Hey @sashkello, I know from personal experience that it definitely works on yellowtail - but this using burley to attract them and I know when the Yakkas are around the burley trap, they’ll take just about anything - then you’ve got a great live bait for Kingies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Expensive stuff for the amount you get - I was looking at < name forbidden > the other day and it was like $15 for a tiny container of it. I had a mate who used the orange stuff for trout as it looks like trout eggs and he did ok on it - you could probably use a tiny piece of carrot to catch them if it is the colour that is attracting them . I have some small orange sinkers I want to try for trout - hoping the colour will attract them towards my bait , I’ll get around to it one day !

• Like 2

3 hours ago, XD351 said:

Expensive stuff for the amount you get - I was looking at < name forbidden > the other day and it was like $15 for a tiny container of it. I had a mate who used the orange stuff for trout as it looks like trout eggs and he did ok on it - you could probably use a tiny piece of carrot to catch them if it is the colour that is attracting them . I have some small orange sinkers I want to try for trout - hoping the colour will attract them towards my bait , I’ll get around to it one day !

Powerbait is expensive but it can be dynamite for trout.

Globugging with egg style flies works well also in both dams and streams, so I don't see why a brightly coloured sinker wouldn't act as an attractant.

• Like 1