Trout and about in 2023 - year review.

I haven't posted in a while so I thought I'd do a summary of the years trout fishing. All up I landed 207 trout in 2023, and hooked/lost plenty more. 81 of that 207 were since the season reopened in October.

At the start of the year the rivers were in peak condition, after 3 years of consistent rainfall, and it was reflected in the condition and quality of the fish. With the dry winter we have had, the water levels have fallen significantly for the new season. At this stage the fish numbers are good, it just means they are holding deeper and in shady areas. I caught 13 fish over 50cm, 5 of which have come since the season reopened. Interestingly, 10 of these were brown's, and all from the same stretch of river in the blue mountains... now known as my 'big brown spot'.

I fished the snowies 4 times in 2023, both sides of closed season. I think the waterways here were less affected by the dry winter, as they are propped up by snow melt. The average fish size is a lot smaller, but they fight hard for their weight. I feel like these southern systems get a lot of pressure, especially in accessible locations. Being prepared to hike will pay dividends in numbers of fish caught.

I also had 1 session on the Rubicon river in Victoria, shortly after their season opened. I found the river difficult to fish effectively with fast flow, gravel bottom, and very few deep pools. I still managed 8 fish, inuding a small brook trout which was at the top of my 2023 bucket list and ranks among one of my coolest catches ever!

I had a rough back end of the year with gear, having snapped 2 trout rods... one in a transport 'incident' and then its replacement in a rookie error on the streams 3 weeks later. I've now splashed on a Shimano Expride 259UL which has caught me a few fish, and I'm very happy with. It's action is faster than any rod I've used for trout before, but it still seemed to soak up the aerial antics of a few decent rainbows I've caught.

I estimate 95% of these fish were caught on my confidence lure, the daiwa presso. I still have not had a good crack at fly fishing for trout. This is a goal for 2024.

All in all a fantastic season. A few photos below of some of the highlight fish.

20230915_093511.jpg

VideoCapture_20231002-104117~2.jpg

20230612_081147.jpg

20230407_124221.jpg

20230425_070714.jpg

20231002_113606.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for your report and photos of some of the fish you have caught. I've never seriously fished for Trout in Australia but have great respect for those who do. They are not the easiest fish to catch, no matter what method the angler is using. Generally, the fishing methods required for success require a level of mobility that I no longer possess, so I can appreciate those who manage to get results on a regular basis.

Do you normally eat Trout? If so, what is your preferred way of cooking them?

Cheers, bn

Edited by big Neil
more info...
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Great photos and some nice fish.

Thanks!

19 hours ago, Max Power said:

There are some lovely trout there! The scenery looks very nice too 😀

Thanks! Yes the scenery and wildlife I see contributes a lot to the trout fishing addiction.

18 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

They are just stunning fish.

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Pickles said:

Great report @R E G I C Y C L E. One of the great things about our sport is the environment we get to enjoy in the process and your pics show some stunning territory (and some lovely fish). More reports please.

Thanks @Pickles... the trout I catch are only half the fun. Even if no fish are caught I just enjoy being out in the country.

6 hours ago, big Neil said:

Many thanks for your report and photos of some of the fish you have caught. I've never seriously fished for Trout in Australia but have great respect for those who do. They are not the easiest fish to catch, no matter what method the angler is using. Generally, the fishing methods required for success require a level of mobility that I no longer possess, so I can appreciate those who manage to get results on a regular basis.

Do you normally eat Trout? If so, what is your preferred way of cooking them?

Cheers, bn

Thanks @big Neil. It's funny, I actually don't see trout as difficult to catch (definitely not on the same level as cod!), but you are correct, mobility and fitness does play a part in reaching the locations I fish.

I keep maybe 2% of the stream fish, simply because it is hard to transport the fish when walking on foot without it spoiling, especially in the summer months. If I'm fishing a stocked dam, I will happily bag out on trout, with an esky full of ice on my kayak. My cooking method is pretty boring... smoked whole, with a stuffing of lemon, Tuscan seasoning, and butter.

• Thanks 2