Outstanding “standby” bait for live bait - Gulp pieces.

After reading a post by @sashkello, relating to leftover power bait,  I thought I’d share a “tip” that I experimented with a few years back. I’d forgotten to put any bait in 😞 and had some bread for burley, but did have  some GULP “plastics” and power bait. I cut it up into tiny pieces and the Yakkas took them. This converted to some Kingies and a successful trip that would otherwise been a washout.

• Like 10

On 1/6/2024 at 2:21 AM, Pickles said:

After reading a post by @sashkello, relating to leftover power bait,  I thought I’d share a “tip” that I experimented with a few years back. I’d forgotten to put any bait in 😞 and had some bread for burley, but did have  some GULP “plastics” and power bait. I cut it up into tiny pieces and the Yakkas took them. This converted to some Kingies and a successful trip that would otherwise been a washout.

Is that the worms marinated in scent?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, faker said:

Is that the worms marinated in scent?

Hey @faker, Gulp is actually a bait (flour based compound soaked in a scent). As such it is not actually a “soft plastic”. This being the case, any gulp product will probably work.

13 hours ago, Pickles said:

Hey @faker, Gulp is actually a bait (flour based compound soaked in a scent). As such it is not actually a “soft plastic”. This being the case, any gulp product will probably work.

I've yet to experiment and test this out, but for me the gulp packets that are marketed for saltwater (the blue ones) are way more potent for fish that love smelly baits e.g snapper. During my trip to new zealand where i got onto some snapper and kahwai they only ever hit the saltwater packets and didn't even touch the red freshwater packets. Even the saltwater gulps from Japan didn't work. Could've just been a coincidence but Berkley does say that the water based scent they use all have the same base but have different "seasonings" or finishes for different countries/regions.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, AlbertW said:

I've yet to experiment and test this out, but for me the gulp packets that are marketed for saltwater (the blue ones) are way more potent for fish that love smelly baits e.g snapper. During my trip to new zealand where i got onto some snapper and kahwai they only ever hit the saltwater packets and didn't even touch the red freshwater packets. Even the saltwater gulps from Japan didn't work. Could've just been a coincidence but Berkley does say that the water based scent they use all have the same base but have different "seasonings" or finishes for different countries/regions.

To my knowledge I never had issues catching fish with or without scent unless for the tricky bastards known as bream.

• Haha 1