Big Blue swimmer = Crab ravioli

My son headed down to the Hacking for an afternoon shorebased session yesterday and picked up a thumping male blue swimmer crab on a squid bait. He called me and I told him to bring it home so I can cook it up. My wife had recently had crab ravioli at a city restaurant so I decided to try my own version. The crab was a beast with one full sized nipper and I put it to sleep in the freezer then boiled it up today, iced it and removed all the flesh. Mixed with fresh ricotta, lemon zest and some parsley, i made the ravioli and covered them with a lemon sage butter sauce. The meal made 24 ravioli and fed 3 of us ......all were happy! Bring on the rogue crabs I say!

Blue swimmer Jan 7 2023.jpg

Crab ravioli in a sage & lemon butter sauce.jpg

• Like 21

Very fancy meal there Rob. A good sized swimmer.

For those that do not know, the smaller nipper is growing back to normal size. Crabs have nippers knocked off due to fighting other crabs, escaping predators, and they can cast off a nipper at will. A new nipper then grows back to normal size.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Yum Rob - you’re a legend, bet Mrs Jenno was happy you taking over cooking duties.

The crabs (muddies and Blue swimmers) have been outstanding this season after all this rain - Flatties obliging also.

Crab or Prawn Ravioli are the best…..my wife makes her own dough to make them, and with her “secret” sauce, they are fantastic, and a good way to make a single crab feed a few.

On 1/8/2024 at 10:29 PM, Yowie said:

Very fancy meal there Rob. A good sized swimmer.

For those that do not know, the smaller nipper is growing back to normal size. Crabs have nippers knocked off due to fighting other crabs, escaping predators, and they can cast off a nipper at will. A new nipper then grows back to normal size.

Thanks Dave

I enjoy preparing seafood almost as much as catching it! Shame the other nipper hadn’t grown back full size yet👌

On 1/9/2024 at 3:54 AM, Pickles said:

Yum Rob - you’re a legend, bet Mrs Jenno was happy you taking over cooking duties.

The crabs (muddies and Blue swimmers) have been outstanding this season after all this rain - Flatties obliging also.

Thanks Bob

I do most of the cooking and all the seafood cooking and I had to get the most out of one crab! Plenty of crab posts atm so I think you are spot on!

On 1/9/2024 at 6:31 AM, Little_Flatty said:

Fantastic Rob. Not only are you capable of catching a good feed yourself, you now have your son bringing home quality seafood as well! Some people have all the luck!

Great job on the ravioli too. Looks delish.

Thanks little Flatty 

I always try to make the most of my son’s catches🙏🏻

On 1/9/2024 at 8:23 AM, noelm said:

Crab or Prawn Ravioli are the best…..my wife makes her own dough to make them, and with her “secret” sauce, they are fantastic, and a good way to make a single crab feed a few.

I cheated with the pasta and used fresh wonton wrappers…..simple and effective hack🤪

• Like 1