Small shrimp

Aussie_fisher

Went to Tuggerah today to target some flatties just before the heat got bad. Caught tonnes of southern herring to use as live bait for them. Early morning I saw a lot of some sort of shrimp in the water. They were tiny (not even 1/3rd the size of my pinkie) and transparent. Had a little scoop net but didn’t know if it was legal to scoop them. A bloke next to me told me that it’s fine and he does it all the time and that they are gun bait for small bait fish which they were. Searched them up and eastern grass shrimp are exactly what they look like - except eastern grass shrimp are freshwater and are native to the US. Anyone have any ideas of what they are and if it’s actually legal to scoop them and use them?  I don’t see them mentioned anywhere on the dpi apps or website. 

You’d need to ask the DPI for the specifics, but I would be inclined to think this falls under prawning rules.

image.thumb.png.23d534c96d9853c9b9ce467bc63ec7a4.png
The mesh size would suggest that the scoop net may be illegal. Those scoop nets I believe are for handling live bait.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-rules-and-regs/perm-prohib-saltwater

Edited by Little_Flatty
Wrong screenshot
  • Like 1

Aussie fisher,

you can legally scoop out the shrimp with a prawn net, as described above with its net size specified. Using a scoop net with smaller net size, less then 20mm, would need clarification with DPI Fisheries section.

I have used a prawn net in previous times, and though you may lose a few shrimp, usually enough remain to keep for live bait, and good bait they are.

Call the DPI to clarify the net you used, we do not want any illegal activity to occur with Fishraiders, but it will also inform others on this forum what is best to do. The mods on this forum are interested in keeping everyone safe and legal in their fishing exploits.

Thank you,

Dave.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

You’d need to ask the DPI for the specifics, but I would be inclined to think this falls under prawning rules.

image.thumb.png.23d534c96d9853c9b9ce467bc63ec7a4.png
The mesh size would suggest that the scoop net may be illegal. Those scoop nets I believe are for handling live bait.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-rules-and-regs/perm-prohib-saltwater

I read it similarly but reached a conclusion one of the plastic bait traps would be legal, provided you complied with requirements. As you are allowed one only of the plastic style, you'd need to keep busy checking an moving the trap.

I used to use this style of trap, but they don't appear on the NSW permited method list. They worked really well when set in long sea grass.

Edited by Steve0
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Steve0 said:

I read it similarly but reached a conclusion one of the plastic bait traps would be legal, provided you complied with requirements. As you are allowed one only of the plastic style, you'd need to keep busy checking an moving the trap.

I used to use this style of trap, but they don't appear on the NSW permited method list. They worked really well when set in long sea grass.

That type of trap you linked would fall under bait trap rule.

IMG_7902.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/26/2024 at 7:17 PM, xerotao said:

That type of trap you linked would fall under bait trap rule.

IMG_7902.jpeg

I recall only approximate length and thought they were 'fatter'. Reading dimensions on the link, I agree. 

• Like 1

People get confused (and often try to interpret laws to suit themselves) but…..the documentation clearly states what’s legal to use (for all types of fishing) anything outside those defined descriptions is illegal, you can whinge and carry on that what you are using is not listed as being against the law, but, if it’s not listed as legal, then chances are it’s not, and ignorance of the law is no excuse. Now let’s be clear, I am not a Fisheries officer or anything like that, or profess to be some kind of saint…. but, I fully understand how it’s all written and intended to be interpreted.

• Like 3

Hi @Aussie_fisher, I think what you are seeing / catching are “Jelly prawns” or immature prawns (juveniles of the ones we eat). I remember clearly this time 16months ago, after the last “big wet”, launching at my local ramp and seeing many thousands in huge schools in the shallows. I put my squid lights on at the back of the boat and it was a massive cloud of “jelly prawns” and excellent bait for small Yakkas.

• Like 1

yep, +1 for jelly prawns, used to see them in parra river occasionally schooled up along the banks. have even seen kingies smashing them at my feet before

not sure the best "legal" way to collect them though

• Like 1

Yes they could be jelly prawns or maybe some kind of shrimp. I didn’t catch any myself as I wasn’t sure if it was legal for me to scoop them out or not but used a few from the other guy and they were really good for the small bait fish. I immediately made a post on this site to clarify what they were and the legal rules to make sure I wouldn’t unwittingly be doing anything illegal. those shrimp would be a bit difficult to catch with a prawn net as they were tiny but it’s definitely possible and @Yowie suggested a good way to do it. Better to be safe than sorry. Might call the dpi as well to clarify. Thanks guys

• Like 2