Messing around on shore jigging

So each weekend I have been going of to various places to practice shore jigging before going back to standard lure casting

Morning was cloudy and left home at 4:30am. Arrived at 5:30 to try for some bonito action in Clifton garden rocks.

About 7 people there including myself but it beats fishing of the pier.

No activity but did see people on boat land 1 king and some smaller species. But I carried on jigging, initially with a cheap fast jig to test bottom, slow jig, my favourite metalmaru( it's dumb and easy to use. Just wind and stop with jerks) then used soft 40g berkley shimma vibe.

Manage to hook a decent fish with some head shakes only for it to spit hook. Hung out till 9 before headed to Taylor's Bay to do standard lure fishing to land 2 pinkies. 

Not a bad day at least I got some experience on how to use various lures and hook a fish. Pity didn't know what it was but I am guessing a flathead.

Short term aim is to get something other then tailor.

Edited by faker
  • Like 7

19 hours ago, faker said:

So each weekend I have been going of to various places to practice shore jigging before going back to standard lure casting

Morning was cloudy and left home at 4:30am. Arrived at 5:30 to try for some bonito action in Clifton garden rocks.

About 7 people there including myself but it beats fishing of the pier.

No activity but did see people on boat land 1 king and some smaller species. But I carried on jigging, initially with a cheap fast jig to test bottom, slow jig, my favourite metalmaru( it's dumb and easy to use. Just wind and stop with jerks) then used soft 40g berkley shimma vibe.

Manage to hook a decent fish with some head shakes only for it to spit hook. Hung out till 9 before headed to Taylor's Bay to do standard lure fishing to land 2 pinkies. 

Not a bad day at least I got some experience on how to use various lures and hook a fish. Pity didn't know what it was but I am guessing a flathead.

Short term aim is to get something other then tailor.

I recommend trying out balmoral with shorejigs got a few Bonnie’s and Mac tuna there I recommend jig para 7 gram micro jigs 

1 hour ago, mazzs248 said:

I recommend trying out balmoral with shorejigs got a few Bonnie’s and Mac tuna there I recommend jig para 7 gram micro jigs 

Lowest I have is 20g jigs. Is this on wharf or rocks?

7 hours ago, faker said:

Lowest I have is 20g jigs. Is this on wharf or rocks?

On balmoral wharf if you can go during the week or early morning or when it’s rainy it’s best so you get a bit of space as it’s usually pretty busy

give the 20 grams a go and see if there willing to take them you will usually see the bonito they will swim past the wharf and start busting up a bit if they don’t take it try out some smaller profile lures or some bigger ones until you find what’s right for the day

Edited by mazzs248
  • Like 2