I.D. please (Red Bigeye)

Bloggsy

Question

14 answers to this question

That’s a “Red Bigeye” distinguished from the other closely related species by what I believe to be small, light yellow spots on the dorsal fin, which appear to be present in that one.

edit……they are reasonably common in summer, and almost pests in warmer water.

Edited by noelm
  • Thanks 1

It’s a “Bigeye” but not sure if it’s a Blotched or Lunatail as I can’t see the Caudal (Tail) Fin which is the easiest way to distinguish.

Hopefully somebody else has a better idea.

If you had a photo of the Tail that would be great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blackfish said:

It’s a “Bigeye” but not sure if it’s a Blotched or Lunatail as I can’t see the Caudal (Tail) Fin which is the easiest way to distinguish.

Hopefully somebody else has a better idea.

If you had a photo of the Tail that would be great.

The reason why we need a full side on view of a fish for an I.D.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The eye of your is a standout feature, so the common name is hardly surprising, but it is not a classification. You can use the fishes of Australia website for that. Sometimes you can start with the common name and it will take you straight to an easy choice (e.g. 'Luderick'). A search for 'Bigeye' gave me five pages of choice. Using the State filters on the left narrowed it but nothing resembled your fish.  Sometimes Google image search for the fish description helps, but that is very hit and miss and did not help in this case.

Starting here, you'll see what is needed for a full classification ID. For salt water species, click the 'Fish family key' button near the bottom of the page. Some of the choices, such as body form, are subjective (sometimes you need to go back and make a different choice).  Colouration also varies with some species. In my experience, a different colour pattern (e.g. different count of bands) is a different species.   It gets easier with practice. HINT: most species we catch come under the 'No match' criterion at choice #1.

I gave up at Nemipteridae with what I could make of your fish.

Edited by Steve0
  • Like 1

Thanks @Steve0

@Blackfish your call

Just a heads up, there are 33 pages of identified fish in our Aquarium. Check through and see if already there. 
Blackfish often contacts the Ichthyologist at the Australian Museum for definitive id.

I don’t think we have had any we can’t solve. 
Great community here, everyone helps. 

Just now, Yowie said:

These fish are popular with Asian fishos due to their red colouring.

Have never eaten them myself, always released.

I have eaten them, and they are OK, but hardly top shelf (in my opinion) 

• Thanks 1

0CBE7287-A195-4FEB-A4F9-A93650A5FDB3.thumb.jpeg.51b0eef3637a56ec709754d6aabd4710.jpeg

They are also known as spotted bigeye. I catch them quiet often in the harbour on bait, jigs and sabiki.

They smell a bit and if you can get over that, they have a fantastic moist flesh and a fatty layer near the skin.

Not bad as sashimi, battered, fried or steamed.

Edited by whiskey299