Rock fishing

What a fantastic video showing the raw passion the Luderick angler had for his chosen fishing experience. Great filming, accompanied by great music selections, clearly defines the danger involved in the pursuit of the humble Luderick... WOW.

Many thanks for posting this,

bn

It’s pretty hard to beat the taste of a big ocean Blackfish I reckon……some good stuff in that movie. I don’t profess to being anything other than a “tryer” when it comes to Blackfish, but kind of like fly fishing, the actual fishing is good fun, catching a fish is a bonus. I fish a really simple spot, very safe, but……you continually get wet, you can tell the locals, they all wear a rain jacket, there’s a little flat rock, just out from the shore, like a mini cliff, the waves hit it and splash up on you constantly, after about 5 minutes, you’re soaked.

• Like 1

I walked out to Yellow Rock and had a look years ago. There must have been a release. While I looked down from above, water went from discoloured to dark brown. It looked like fishing in a septic tank. They were even had bits of paper get on the lines of people down there. I went elsewhere and left about half a dozen people pulling fish out of it. It would have been far from a pleasant place to get washed in.  I wonder if it is as productive after the outfall moved.

@noelm The best spots are low and weed covered. Of course you are going to get wet! Eye on the float; eye on the swell; 100% focus. Its a great way to forget your cares for a while.

Edited by Steve0
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Gives us a good insight into what you were doing in all of your yarns, Waza!

Hi Mike if you want to see what sort of stuff we got up to, have a look in 'Waza's Yarns' at Surviving- then scroll down after the post and Jamo Damo has put the Mattens movie on there. Although we did things differently to the guys in the movie, the climb, cave and quite a few of the spots fished are where we fished about 50% of the time down there. We were just about finishing up fishing down there when they were making the movie

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Mike if you want to see what sort of stuff we got up to, have a look in 'Waza's Yarns' at Surviving- then scroll down after the post and Jamo Damo has put the Mattens movie on there. Although we did things differently to the guys in the movie, the climb, cave and quite a few of the spots fished are where we fished about 50% of the time down there. We were just about finishing up fishing down there when they were making the movie

Yes and I have read it. I missed the movie though, will watch it!

For those who haven't seen Waza's story, it's here:

Great vid, I can watch this sort thing all day long.

@wazatherfisherman why do they use that 2 handed rope system at The Mattens for the climb in and out? I assume there must be decent footing holes for that to be efficient. In all the cliff fishing I’ve done over the years I’ve only ever used a single rope.

3 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Great vid, I can watch this sort thing all day long.

@wazatherfisherman why do they use that 2 handed rope system at The Mattens for the climb in and out? I assume there must be decent footing holes for that to be efficient. In all the cliff fishing I’ve done over the years I’ve only ever used a single rope.

Hi Pete firstly let me apologise for lack of communication over the last few months- much going on at present.

The first rope climb at the Mattens (shown at 3.31 in the movie) only needed 1 rope (we had to climb it without a rope 3 times after the rope was stolen on each occasion) as there are wide chiselled foot-holes that were 3-4 inches deep, which were in two 'lines' directly under each other. As you know, 90% of climbing is done with your legs rather than arms, however on the big climb -the next stage (shown between 4.30 and 8 minutes), there were several spots where you needed to turn at 90' to the wall and use protrusions that were only about 1-2 inches wide. If you tried only using one rope at these spots, it's likely you would become 'unbalanced' or in fact (as happened to a few including me) spin outwards rather than inwards. Having two ropes as a steadier is similar to how you climb a ladder and also having two ropes in each hand a good safety measure. Weight-shift also aided both descent and leg-pushes on the way back up, again facilitated by the steadier of a rope (or two) in each hand.

I know the guys in the movie fished the spot at times and were experienced at climbing the cliff, however, there's no way that most of us would approach climbing in the manner shown. Adding to this, probably 75% of the time we were climbing down while it was pitch dark- between midnight and about 4am. Their safety harness was a wise investment

• Like 2

17 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Just watched this on the train today. Wow, I didn’t expect an hour long, highly informative 80s documentary! Though that kind of fishing is definitely not for me, I could watch, listen to and read about adventures like this all day!

Thanks for the reminder @wazatherfisherman and for posting @JamoDamo.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Pete firstly let me apologise for lack of communication over the last few months- much going on at present.

The first rope climb at the Mattens (shown at 3.31 in the movie) only needed 1 rope (we had to climb it without a rope 3 times after the rope was stolen on each occasion) as there are wide chiselled foot-holes that were 3-4 inches deep, which were in two 'lines' directly under each other. As you know, 90% of climbing is done with your legs rather than arms, however on the big climb -the next stage (shown between 4.30 and 8 minutes), there were several spots where you needed to turn at 90' to the wall and use protrusions that were only about 1-2 inches wide. If you tried only using one rope at these spots, it's likely you would become 'unbalanced' or in fact (as happened to a few including me) spin outwards rather than inwards. Having two ropes as a steadier is similar to how you climb a ladder and also having two ropes in each hand a good safety measure. Weight-shift also aided both descent and leg-pushes on the way back up, again facilitated by the steadier of a rope (or two) in each hand.

I know the guys in the movie fished the spot at times and were experienced at climbing the cliff, however, there's no way that most of us would approach climbing in the manner shown. Adding to this, probably 75% of the time we were climbing down while it was pitch dark- between midnight and about 4am. Their safety harness was a wise investment

No apology required at all Waza, in fact I’ve been in the same boat myself for quite some time.

Your explanation on the climbing technique makes perfect sense now and thanks for the detailed answer.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 7:01 AM, noelm said:

It’s pretty hard to beat the taste of a big ocean Blackfish I reckon……some good stuff in that movie. I don’t profess to being anything other than a “tryer” when it comes to Blackfish, but kind of like fly fishing, the actual fishing is good fun, catching a fish is a bonus. I fish a really simple spot, very safe, but……you continually get wet, you can tell the locals, they all wear a rain jacket, there’s a little flat rock, just out from the shore, like a mini cliff, the waves hit it and splash up on you constantly, after about 5 minutes, you’re soaked.

I grew up eating blackfish in the 1960's and 1970's. Kept alive till you finish fishing then quickly bled and cleaned with all the black lining of the stomach wiped out with some hessian and the blood taken off the backbone in the stomach cavity and they taste fantastic. I would never eat ones sold in fish shops - they are too weedy because they were not cleaned straight away.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 4:12 PM, Steve0 said:

I walked out to Yellow Rock and had a look years ago. There must have been a release. While I looked down from above, water went from discoloured to dark brown. It looked like fishing in a septic tank. They were even had bits of paper get on the lines of people down there. I went elsewhere and left about half a dozen people pulling fish out of it. It would have been far from a pleasant place to get washed in.  I wonder if it is as productive after the outfall moved.

@noelm The best spots are low and weed covered. Of course you are going to get wet! Eye on the float; eye on the swell; 100% focus. Its a great way to forget your cares for a while.

Some spots along the coast were well named - Like "Suicide". I never fished at Yellow Rock but back in the 1960's and 1970's it was well named due to all the pollution from the sewer outfall.