Meadowbank bread session

Was feeling bored at home so I decided to bring some old mouldy bread and head down to Meadowbank. A short 15 minutes drive later, and I was at the ferry wharf. To start things off, I decided to tie on a 3 inch paddle tail and cast around the bridge. Was hoping for a Jew or flatty, but no hits and lots of snags. With no results on the placcy, I pulled out the bread and moved to the ferry wharf, fishing with 6 pound without a swivel or sinker. Dropper the bread down near the pylons, and left the bail open so the fish could run with it. A few seconds later, the line began coming off the reel at a considerable speed, so I tightened up and stuck. Up came a small bream, around 20cm. No monster but still great fun of the light gear 😀

Baited up again and dropped it back down. Almost instantly, I got another bite and this time the line was peeling at a much faster rate. This was a larger fish, making strong lunges and runs towards the poles, and even bricked me at one point. Luckily, it came out and I was able to beach it. A good sized bream, about 30cm.

The ride was at its lowest point now, and the fish were also slowing down. In the next hour, all I managed were micro bream and toads which kept picking apart the baits. 

With the bream slowing down, I tied on a squidtrex and resumed my mission of a Jewish of flathead. However, this was short lasted as I struck a snag and lost the lure. Called the session on that note

Edited by ireallylovefishies22
  • Like 13

Wow great catch at 30cm!  I've taken a liking to fishing with bread lately for bait fishing...really convenient to keep around and no smelly fingers after.  Have caught mainly smaller fish so far, but your 30cm gives me hope 😁  What type/size of hook are you using for bread anyway?  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, linewetter said:

Wow great catch at 30cm!  I've taken a liking to fishing with bread lately for bait fishing...really convenient to keep around and no smelly fingers after.  Have caught mainly smaller fish so far, but your 30cm gives me hope 😁  What type/size of hook are you using for bread anyway?  

Yeah you do tend to get lots of pickers with bread, lots of small fish you must wade through to get to the quality. What rig are you using? I used an unweighted rig with a small semi-long shanked hook about 3cm long. Hope this helps!

22 minutes ago, ireallylovefishies22 said:

Yeah you do tend to get lots of pickers with bread, lots of small fish you must wade through to get to the quality. What rig are you using? I used an unweighted rig with a small semi-long shanked hook about 3cm long. Hope this helps!

I’m using unweighted as well. A size 6 octopus hook with the bread smooshed on like a teardrop shape, fat side close to the hook point. Have caught a decent pike, a few good yakkas the length of my arm, and lots of smaller pinkies and bream on it. I could up the hook size but I like catching the small guys still just for the fun of it 😁

Edited by linewetter

21 minutes ago, ireallylovefishies22 said:

Yep I use a size 6 or 8 long shanked hook and mold the bread around it. I think a bigger bait gets the bigger fish.

Apart from that it’s very tricky to not get the bait stolen, so I tend to fish bread baits unweighted and on a slack line, watching the line to move a fair bit before striking.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, linewetter said:

I’m using unweighted as well. A size 6 octopus hook with the bread smooshed on like a teardrop shape, fat side close to the hook point. Have caught a decent pike, a few good yakkas the length of my arm, and lots of smaller pinkies and bream on it. I could up the hook size but I like catching the small guys still just for the fun of it 😁

Yeah just keep persisting you'll get some nice bream. Catching the little guys is definitely fun, up to you if you want to change hook size! As Little_Flatty has said, I find fishing with a slack line more effective that keeping constant tension. Also burley really helps, I find that with a bit of burley the mullet and luderick come in and actually turns them on.

Edited by ireallylovefishies22
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Yep I use a size 6 or 8 long shanked hook and mold the bread around it. I think a bigger bait gets the bigger fish.

Apart from that it’s very tricky to not get the bait stolen, so I tend to fish bread baits unweighted and on a slack line, watching the line to move a fair bit before striking.

1 minute ago, ireallylovefishies22 said:

Yeah just keep persisting you'll get some nice bream. Catching the little guys is definitely fun, up to you if you want to change hook size! As Little_Flatty has said, I find fishing with a slack line more effective that keeping constant tension.

Very interesting!  I'll have to try fishing with a slack line with both of you recommending it.  So far I've been keeping tension on the line but will try the slack line and watching it go before setting the hook.  They've gotten pretty good at giving me a real solid tug to get the bread off so maybe this will help prevent that too...

• Like 1

Well done on the 30cm bream. They fight so hard and have snapped me on 10lb so 👏to u on landing it on 6lb in that area. I’ve only fished there once and yet lost quite a few lures. Bread is my go to bait to catch bait fish like herring and yakkas but seems like it works for big stuff as well if u manage to get past pickers.

• Like 1