Rockledge information. Nth/Sth Curl Curl, Dee why, Whale beach

11 hours ago, faker said:

@Steve0do you have any method of storing luderick weed for a month?

Keep it in a container with water collected from the same area where the weed is collected. Run an aerator in it every 3rd day for about an hour and if water evaporates and needs topping up, do so with distilled freshwater or rain/tank water.

Leave it outside in a bright spot where it can get roughly 2 hours of sun per day, but be careful it doesn’t get too hot at this time of year.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Burger said:

@Green Hornet Does this work on both string and cabbage?

I’ve only done it this way with string weed @Burger and kept it alive and growing for over 12 months. 
I don’t bother with keeping cabbage at home as the stuff is so plentiful down here, but have seen reports of guys doing it elsewhere successfully using the same technique.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2024 at 4:57 AM, XD351 said:

There are two ovens platforms, inner- access from the beach and outer - down the rope , I believe this is no longer accessible. 
you also have a few options at south palm beach , on low swell you can fish off the front , if it is a bit wild you can go around to the side where the baths are . 
when you are looking for spots think about your egress or retreat path - if you have to beat a hasty retreat because that really big set is about to smash you the last thing you want is to have to clamber up a ledge . Also plan for the worst- if you get washed in how would you get out ? Many places on the northern beaches have angel rings fitted - think of this as part of your personal safety equipment and if it is missing report it and give the area a miss until it has been replaced. I would highly recommend you do at least one trip with either a guide or someone that you are 100% certain has some extensive experience fishing off the stones . The reason for this is they have spent the time on the ledges and understand the nuances of each one intimately- the ledge you fish today and it was safe to do so could take your life tomorrow because of a swell height or direction change .

Ah well thanks for advice. 

On 2/28/2024 at 9:09 AM, Green Hornet said:

I’ve only done it this way with string weed @Burger and kept it alive and growing for over 12 months. 
I don’t bother with keeping cabbage at home as the stuff is so plentiful down here, but have seen reports of guys doing it elsewhere successfully using the same technique.

On 2/28/2024 at 6:20 AM, Green Hornet said:

Keep it in a container with water collected from the same area where the weed is collected. Run an aerator in it every 3rd day for about an hour and if water evaporates and needs topping up, do so with distilled freshwater or rain/tank water.

Leave it outside in a bright spot where it can get roughly 2 hours of sun per day, but be careful it doesn’t get too hot at this time of year.

Interesting. I could try it with string weed. Or better yet freeze string weed

On 2/26/2024 at 6:59 PM, PaddyT said:

Harbord-good spinning ledge on the very tip on a low swell on low tide (on the right side of the bloke)-also a very good blackfish spot, North Curly pretty safe but dont fish in a big swell as you can get ttrapped. North Whale-OK the spot where the guy is the safest spot-the eastern side can actually be pretty dangerous-the low ledge to the north is also good but again on low swell-also a good blackfish spot.

I heard someone needed rescuing there. But safe is relative term

16 hours ago, faker said:

Interesting. I could try it with string weed. Or better yet freeze string weed

I’ve never had success freezing string weed, having it come out smelly and falling apart far too easy. I’ve read elsewhere that others have done it successfully though.
Some spread it out thinly on half a dozen sheets of newspaper and roll it up like a Swiss roll, then store it in the vegetable crisper of the fridge to extend it’s life, though the wife may not approve. If not in the fridge, leave it in a cool spot, like the concrete floor of the garage and it should last 2-3 weeks.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

I was intrigued by this idea:

However I can’t think of a way of doing it without risking the peace in the household!😱😬🤣

I would be terrified. I could disguise it among frozen pilchards 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

I was just thinking…a cheap salad spinner might well do the same job as a washing machine…🤔

It might, but if I go rock fishing it might be viable to leave it on some of the hot rocks to dry 3 hours then refrigerated. This would mean I need rock pools specifically with string weed.

Kinda of want to build a stock pile so I can fish winter without going to beach

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

I was intrigued by this idea:

However I can’t think of a way of doing it without risking the peace in the household!😱😬🤣

Thanks for posting that Mike, I might give that a try one day when the Mrs ain’t about.

I wonder what ever happened to Arpie/Roberta? She was on another group as well that folded a few years ago, was a damn good fisherwoman and a wealth of knowledge.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Thanks for posting that Mike, I might give that a try one day when the Mrs ain’t about.

I wonder what ever happened to Arpie/Roberta? She was on another group as well that folded a few years ago, was a damn good fisherwoman and a wealth of 

Family members will do horrible things to me if I try the spinning stunt

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

I wonder what ever happened to Arpie/Roberta? She was on another group as well that folded a few years ago, was a damn good fisherwoman and a wealth of knowledge.

I will find out. She was a valued member of this forum for many years. She has articles and posts here. We had several socials up at Forster where she lives. 
She got very involved with the kayak community and a ukulele group. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

I will find out. She was a valued member of this forum for many years. She has articles and posts here. We had several socials up at Forster where she lives. 

Arpie left KFDU around the time number of active users started waning. She (and many others) had problems with the site logging her off before she could complete posts, but forums dedicated to kayak fishing were in decline in any case.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

32 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

Arpie left KFDU around the time number of active users started waning. She (and many others) had problems with the site logging her off before she could complete posts, but forums dedicated to kayak fishing were in decline in any case.   

Thanks Donna, I thought you would have known.

KFDU is the other group I was referring to. My understanding was that site went downhill rapidly when the owner lost interest and stopped doing updates, becoming a security hazard. The good news from all that is, that's when I started searching for another fishing forum and discovered Raider. Best move I ever made and haven't looked back since. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

KFDU is the other group I was referring to. My understanding was that site went downhill rapidly when the owner lost interest and stopped doing updates, becoming a security hazard. The good news from all that is, that's when I started searching for another fishing forum and discovered Raider. Best move I ever made and haven't looked back since. 

Correct. I was trying to stir some Admin reaction, but nothing happened. I did solve my rapid logout issue and attempted to help Roberta via PM, but she had no success and just stopped visiting. Its a shame KFDU closed down. The archives were a wealth of knowledge.  

I was well down the coast down at that stage and still thought I was interested in kayak fishing. I joined Vyak as it is more species-relevant to far South Coast but that's died down to only a handful of active members. I'm hopeful  Raider will fill the fishing chat void. So far, so good.

Not long after moving down the coast, a school of Salmon gave a lot of fun out of the yak one day, but that stirred the interest in chasing them from shore (literally, I did a lot of catch, release, run, cast and repeat). It was far more productive than sitting on a wet plastic seat, so I mostly stuck with it. Clean beaches, no people, lots of fish, plenty of them big fish. Sometimes I wonder why I agreed to come back.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Posts on the facebook group Kayak Fishing NSW, a very generous lady with her fishing hints.

It was very sad what happened with KFDU, we needed to consolidated and instead ended up with four kayak fishing forums which all failed.

• Thanks 1

There were lots of different forums. They all started to die off when social media took off. 

Fishraider is the only forum that is still going. We have always had a strict set of site rules and wonderful moderators that keep it a safe and happy space to share fishing experiences. 
No-one is any better than anyone else and all are welcome to contribute. 
Fishraider includes most forms of fishing. To focus on just one area of fishing would never work. 
It takes a lot of time (20 years for me) and financial resources to maintain a forum like this. Sometimes I wonder how much more time I want to give.

Members come and go and are always welcome to revisit and post here. 

This post has gone way off topic. Moving it to Rock Fishing. Please discuss rock platforms there.