Bate Bay

Headed out to Bate Bay before sunrise, not much swell, and the breeze just a touch too much, requiring a bigger than normal snapper sinker to stay on the bottom.

Headed straight out and the spikies were on the bite, 2 at a time. A couple of just legal blue spots, released, then it appeared that was what was available, so I kept a couple. Water over the 100 foot mark, too many spikies, so I headed out to a mark where the water is 200 feet deep. Not much there, a few tiny picks which were probably red spot whiting, and found half a dozen tiger flatties. 2 just on size that were kept.

Tried south of the bombie at a couple of spots, not a touch, not even spikies, very unusual.

Moved back to the first spot of the morning for a few more blue spots.

Only small blue spots, not much over the limit, though I have seen this happen a few years back. Just about all were males. I dropped one good one boatside, he just fell off the hook. Headed back to base and the southerly hit.

fish.jpeg.435_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 19

18 hours ago, Restyle said:

nice bag. they look quite happy to be in your possession, again

Yes I am happy they are in my possession.

Last week in the fish shop at Southgate Sylvania, boneless and skinless flattie fillets were $75 a kilo !!!

Edited by Yowie

3 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Still a nice feed there, much better fairing than yesterday, was very quiet inside.

A couple of feeds so happy with the catch. I was going to head up river with some nippers, but decided to head outside while the swell was down.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yowie said:

Yes I am happy they are in my possession.

Last week in the fish shop at Southgate Syvania, boneless and skinless flattie fillets were $75 a kilo !!!

Still cheaper than ‘Hawkesbury squid’

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Larkin said:

It’s been small flathead out there for the last 6 months. 
worst part is winding up all that way for nothing!

You always manage a good feed Dave!

Yes Chris, it is a feed.

Woke up this morning, left elbow and left side a bit iritated. All of that pumping and winding from 200 feet, plus more line out to stay in contact with the bottom.

9 hours ago, kantong said:

a great feed there and there is a bit of winding back and forth, your arms must be buff.

Enough for 2 feeds. Wind up in 200 feet of water, to find an undersized tiger flattie. :wacko:

• Like 1