Lake Conjola

Travelled there last week with the caravan, and met up with a group of others from the van club. A few keen fishos amongst them. Stayed at the van park nearest the entrance to the lake, fishing was either from the rocks along the river side in front of the park, or from the beach.

First morning to the beach, a couple of salmon caught by others, not me, only pickers taking the pillies.

No fishing that night, however, one of the guys pulled up a couple of bream , and dropped a good one, off the rock wall.

No beach fishing for me the next morning, but a couple of the guys pulled up several salmon, a bream and a trevally from the beach.

That night on the rock wall, a few bite offs from tailor, and only the little ones about 25cm landed. I caught a duck in my line, swam into it and tangled up. Not much of a fight, grabbed it, untangled the line and set it free. One of the guys wanted to take it home and make it pluck-a-duck, into the cooking pot as duck-ah-l-orange. 🤣

Next morning to the beach again. Only one salmon for me, several for the other 2, and 2 large sand mullet on salmon strips on a 3/0 hook. :huh: Something different.

Tried prawning that night, half a dozen tiny prawns, and 2 small garfish. Very little run in the water, and a full moon. Gars kept for bait.

Swam out to the sandbank in the arvo, rod, nipper pump, bucket on a boogie board. Plenty of small whiting and tarwhine on the sand flats, but no legals. One flattie caught off the rock wall, by one of the others. Fished the rock wall later that night, and a 30cm bream on a gar, plus little tailor.

Not too many fish caught up river by the other campers in the park, mainly flatties. The salmon were from 40 to 50cm.

Was going to take my kayak, the doctor advised against it due to an infected wound in my upper arm, so left it at home. Will be heading back there another day, the last time I was there was about 30 years ago. Rather busy on weekends, but a nice place to visit again, week days would be the best.

A good time had by all, wines and bourbons consumed, and 2 large meat trays (steak and chicken) from the bowling club raffle provided plenty for the BBQ.

• Like 16

Good one Dave, thanks for the report, Lake Conjola is a beautiful spot. Now I’m a caravan owner, I have still to workout the rod / Tackle / cleaning set up (and the K9 has to come)

Conjola is a very nice place, my brother lives there and I get down there reasonably often, like most south coast lakes, fishing needs a bit of “sussing out” a kayak/canoe/small boat is an asset, because getting around the shoreline can be challenging at times, even just getting to the other side can mean a decent drive (or swim) that said, holiday fishing is fun and any fish is a bonus when it’s not a “fishing holiday”:

2 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Something different from you @Yowie...landbased and weekend fishing! Still, some good fish caught and it looks like a good time was had by all.

I didn't know you had a kayak.

Yes Mike, something different for a change.

Have had the kayak for some time, and it is some time since I used it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Good one Dave, thanks for the report, Lake Conjola is a beautiful spot. Now I’m a caravan owner, I have still to workout the rod / Tackle / cleaning set up (and the K9 has to come)

Many great spots down south Bob.

I have a tackle box, a bucket with various reels, and a tube for the 2 piece rods that fits across the back seat, though the 2 piece beach rod is too long for that, it sits inside a tube under the van for transport.

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Conjola is a very nice place, my brother lives there and I get down there reasonably often, like most south coast lakes, fishing needs a bit of “sussing out” a kayak/canoe/small boat is an asset, because getting around the shoreline can be challenging at times, even just getting to the other side can mean a decent drive (or swim) that said, holiday fishing is fun and any fish is a bonus when it’s not a “fishing holiday”:

I will take the kayak next time to explore a bit further, though a swim to the nipper beds on the other side was not too hard.

8 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Not a bad spot @Yowie

Walk along from the caravan park to the Post Office shop for fish and chips or takeaway.

Plenty of Roos and birds to play with. Bowlo raffles 👏

It was with the new group Donna, RV NSEW.

Plenty to eat without heading to the shop. One fisho who was camping had too many whiting, so he offered me 4, that were gladly accepted - filleted, crumbed and cooked with some chips and salad.  :wine:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Yowie said:

It was with the new group Donna, RV NSEW.

Plenty to eat without heading to the shop. One fisho who was camping had too many whiting, so he offered me 4, that were gladly accepted - filleted, crumbed and cooked with some chips and salad.  :wine:

I enjoy getting out of the park for a bit actually. 
Only eat one or 2 fish meals when away. We give to others or throw back in. Too much fish gets boring!!

We just got a nice kingie for Good Fri lunch (for those that eat fish) 

Hope you group was enjoyable. Still seems some stuff going on with the other lot. 

• Like 1

A different report from you for sure mate. Sounds like you had fun even though it wasn’t Bate Bay! Hope the shoulder heels quick. I’ve just had my skin check - 6 buggers frozen off face and nose.  

Cheers Z

23 hours ago, Larkin said:

Nice to get away and sounds like your having a good time.

Bummer about the prawns. Maybe try again another night.

It was good to get away, more or less just fun fishing with the others.

The entrance to the lake is shallow, so not much tidal run for prawn movement.

At night off the rock wall, you could shine a light onto the sand just out from the rocks and see many flatties sitting and cruising about, grabbing little fish and prawns - all flatties were just undersize and not interested in our baits anyway.

3 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

A different report from you for sure mate. Sounds like you had fun even though it wasn’t Bate Bay! Hope the shoulder heels quick. I’ve just had my skin check - 6 buggers frozen off face and nose.  

Cheers Z

My shoulder wound has left a scar - just add that to the list of scars. 

The trouble with fishing during the day. Reflection of sun from the water is more intense than just a direct hit of sun light standing on land. All fishos need skin checks.