Catching a decent weenus slapper

guess I could've called it an elbow slapper...

Today was a special day.  I've had really good luck catching decent fish lately on bread and have been wanting my partner to come out with me fishing just so I could show her.  Last time she came with me was when I was just a beginner with no idea what I was doing.  She came with me really often for like 2 months straight while I caught nothing :mfr_lol: So I can imagine her hesitation to want to come watch nothing happen.  But I'm better now I promised! 

Today was the day I finally convinced her to come out with me for just a little bit.  I guaranteed I was going to catch at least one fish this session (my confidence in catching fish has grown immensely after spending much time learning with @DerekD over the past ~3 months that I've known him - major shout out to him for teaching me much of what I know).   First cast, 2 mins with the bread in the water and no action...unusual.  I landed my bait right where I knew the fish would be and no action!  At this point I knew the bread was sunken at the bottom, so I slow rolled it towards me and let it sit some more.  If the fish hadn't bitten by then, then they just weren't there I figured.  

After another 30 seconds of waiting, I felt a tap tap, then boom!  I set the hook then line started peeling and my rod bent with tension.  I could immediately tell I was onto a good fish based off the drag being pulled.  I've caught enough bream now to have a good idea of when I've got one on and this definitely didn't feel like a bream.  The bigger bream fight really dang hard and this one felt heavy but didn't fight that same way.  I tightened my drag a bit to bring it up and I saw the silhouette.  Huh that looks like a really big yakka if it's a yakka.  That might be the biggest yakka I've ever caught!  I brought it in even closer then saw the distinctive fish pucker and I realized it was a whiting!  A good one at that!  I pulled it onto shore and showed my partner my huge grin and my nice fish.  I was really happy to have caught my PB whiting and also show my partner that I can catch decent fish now!  I'm not no fishless chump anymore!  

Photos are not the best since they're screengrabs from video I was recording and I didn't want to keep the fish out the water any longer to stop the video and snap proper pictures.  It went back into the water to fight another day 🙂  I didn't properly measure it but put it against my rod and measured at home, came out to be approx 35 cm long.

image.thumb.png.9c81d18146d0f1f5e83de84ad9a8c060.png

image.thumb.png.f031436e591a7bf28f521b8000c92b72.png

As a bonus, I convinced my partner to take the rod and try fishing as well.  She has tried fishing a little bit before but we spent many hours with no action in the past, but I guaranteed her she would catch a fish this time.  I baited her hook for her and told her what to do and why, and let her do everything herself.  She ended up catching one nice small bream and a decent sized yakka, and then requested to want to hook onto a bigger fish.  So I baited the hook with an even bigger piece of bread to keep the tiny guys away.  She ended up hooking onto a really big bream!  It fought as hard as the ones that are in the 30cm+ range that I've fought.  The big bream got the best of her though since she was using my setup of an UL rod + really light line + leader...not the easiest to control fish on as a complete beginner...and it ended up getting away.  It was still really cool to show her that I've progressed enough to even be able to guarantee any fish at all, much less being able to hook into a big one even if it got away.  

Edited by linewetter
  • Like 20

4 hours ago, linewetter said:

Today was a special day.  I've had really good luck catching decent fish lately on bread and have been wanting my partner to come out with me fishing just so I could show her.  Last time she came with me was when I was just a beginner with no idea what I was doing.  She came with me really often for like 2 months straight while I caught nothing :mfr_lol: So I can imagine her hesitation to want to come watch nothing happen.  But I'm better now I promised! 

Today was the day I finally convinced her to come out with me for just a little bit.  I guaranteed I was going to catch at least one fish this session (my confidence in catching fish has grown immensely after spending much time learning with @DerekD over the past ~3 months that I've known him - major shout out to him for teaching me much of what I know).   First cast, 2 mins with the bread in the water and no action...unusual.  I landed my bait right where I knew the fish would be and no action!  At this point I knew the bread was sunken at the bottom, so I slow rolled it towards me and let it sit some more.  If the fish hadn't bitten by then, then they just weren't there I figured.  

After another 30 seconds of waiting, I felt a tap tap, then boom!  I set the hook then line started peeling and my rod bent with tension.  I could immediately tell I was onto a good fish based off the drag being pulled.  I've caught enough bream now to have a good idea of when I've got one on and this definitely didn't feel like a bream.  The bigger bream fight really dang hard and this one felt heavy but didn't fight that same way.  I tightened my drag a bit to bring it up and I saw the silhouette.  Huh that looks like a really big yakka if it's a yakka.  That might be the biggest yakka I've ever caught!  I brought it in even closer then saw the distinctive fish pucker and I realized it was a whiting!  A good one at that!  I pulled it onto shore and showed my partner my huge grin and my nice fish.  I was really happy to have caught my PB whiting and also show my partner that I can catch decent fish now!  I'm not no fishless chump anymore!  

Photos are not the best since they're screengrabs from video I was recording and I didn't want to keep the fish out the water any longer to stop the video and snap proper pictures.  It went back into the water to fight another day 🙂  I didn't properly measure it but put it against my rod and measured at home, came out to be approx 35 cm long.

As a bonus, I convinced my partner to take the rod and try fishing as well.  She has tried fishing a little bit before but we spent many hours with no action in the past, but I guaranteed her she would catch a fish this time.  I baited her hook for her and told her what to do and why, and let her do everything herself.  She ended up catching one nice small bream and a decent sized yakka, and then requested to want to hook onto a bigger fish.  So I baited the hook with an even bigger piece of bread to keep the tiny guys away.  She ended up hooking onto a really big bream!  It fought as hard as the ones that are in the 30cm+ range that I've fought.  The big bream got the best of her though since she was using my setup of an UL rod + really light line + leader...not the easiest to control fish on as a complete beginner...and it ended up getting away.  It was still really cool to show her that I've progressed enough to even be able to guarantee any fish at all, much less being able to hook into a big one even if it got away.  

What a heartwarming tale...brilliant. You really have grown in confidence when you can ask your partner to accompany you on a fishing trip and confidently boast that YOU will catch a fish. Moreover, you have become so capable that you showed your partner how to do it, and it worked. Nice to have friends who will go fishing with you, and even better to have your partner go with you.

Your posts are really interesting to me as they reflect the journey that you have travelled learning to fish. It's a long time since I learned to fish as a beginner, still learning today, though not the basics.

Keep up the good work and posting your results. I didn't know you would catch Whiting on bread...we live and learn.   bn

• Like 1

11 hours ago, linewetter said:

I always look forward to reading your latest report. It is great to read something that glistens with fun, enjoyment and satisfaction you are feeling with your fishing!

• Like 2

Congratulations @linewetter,

Looks like you don't need my lessons anymore and are in the process of getting your own students.

They grow up so fast...

Well done on the effort and you will only get better over time. I look forward to each of your reports as you have a engaging way of taking someone along with your stories.

Regards,

Derek

• Like 4

17 hours ago, big Neil said:

What a heartwarming tale...brilliant. You really have grown in confidence when you can ask your partner to accompany you on a fishing trip and confidently boast that YOU will catch a fish. Moreover, you have become so capable that you showed your partner how to do it, and it worked. Nice to have friends who will go fishing with you, and even better to have your partner go with you.

Your posts are really interesting to me as they reflect the journey that you have travelled learning to fish. It's a long time since I learned to fish as a beginner, still learning today, though not the basics.

Keep up the good work and posting your results. I didn't know you would catch Whiting on bread...we live and learn.   bn

My fishing journey has really been accelerated by the knowledge shared on this forum and by members of this forum.  There are so many informative posts on here about all things fishing, I am really glad I joined and am happy to be a part of this community.  Could not have made it this far in this amount of time without the collective help of all here.

Regarding the whiting on bread - I didn't know either!  Usually though my bread bait doesn't get a chance to hit the lower water column because the bream, pinkies, or yakkas end up catching onto it before it makes it all the way down.  This day was a fluke in that none of them happened to be interested or not there so the bread bait got to make its way to the floor.  I've been fishing unweighted bread so far, it sinks slowly which I like.  However I am now considering experimenting with a running sinker setup in the future just to see what else I can catch off the bottom instead with bread.  I've caught a variety of fish so far but most which seem to have been caught in the top to middle of the water column.  I am just not too sure how well the bread would hold up but only one way to find out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Bread catches everything. Never ceases to amaze me what it can do! That’s a great whiting there.

Great you got your partner fishing too. Your life will be a lot easier if she acquires a taste for it!

Bread does catch everything!  It is far and away my favorite bait of all time.  I am still experimenting with ways on getting it to stay on the hook well enough to withstand being tumbled around in around rougher waters or bounced around on the bottom.  If I can solve that, it would be perfect.  I don't think I am too far off from figuring it out, just need to run more unscientific tests 😄

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Robbo from Sydney said:

I always look forward to reading your latest report. It is great to read something that glistens with fun, enjoyment and satisfaction you are feeling with your fishing!

I am really glad you enjoy it, it's encouraging to hear and motivating.  I don't have many friends or family who are interested in fishing that much so this is my outlet to share all my experiences/stories with those that are 😁  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DerekD said:

Congratulations @linewetter,

Looks like you don't need my lessons anymore and are in the process of getting your own students.

They grow up so fast...

Well done on the effort and you will only get better over time. I look forward to each of your reports as you have a engaging way of taking someone along with your stories.

Regards,

Derek

Hahaha Derek, I feel like I have only touched the tip of the iceberg of fishing knowledge.  I'm looking forward to the next time we go fishing together, lesson or no lesson for the day, it is always a very enjoyable fishing with you - you are great company and great fun to be around.

• Like 1

Excellent report and achievement @linewetter - congratulations on your fishing achievements and to Derek for the mentorship ... really enjoyable read to boot.

Just a word of caution ...  bringing your partner into the fishing fold can (...WILL...) have unintended consequences ... a double up of everything 🤷🏻‍♂️ ...

image.thumb.png.d356893f11379a25d78d3d53120b31c2.png

Enjoy !

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Excellent report and achievement @linewetter - congratulations on your fishing achievements and to Derek for the mentorship ... really enjoyable read to boot.

Just a word of caution ...  bringing your partner into the fishing fold can (...WILL...) have unintended consequences ... a double up of everything 🤷🏻‍♂️ ...

image.thumb.png.d356893f11379a25d78d3d53120b31c2.png

Enjoy !

Cheers Zoran

That is too awesome to see! I love it! 😁 

Me too.. but just sharing a fact.  Maria and I met in our early teens and started fishing together and look where it’s lead us … it’s a dangerously contagious sport. 🤓🤪😜
cheers Zoran 🎣🎣🎣

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 3