Cobia caught from beach in port hacking

Trevmev

Caught my first ever cobia using pilchards from a beach near Cronulla. I’m a Very happy man right now. Unfortunately didn’t take any pics on location but on a tray at home. First time using my newly bought Saragosa 6000 reel this was the first cast result. 

IMG_0319.jpeg

• Like 12

Thanks guys It went for long runs I thought it was a small shark at first but lots of headshakes and very powerful. The Saragosa has lots of torque so it did very well bringing it in would recommend buying for sure. 

Nice rare catch - first I’ve heard of the beach - maybe it followed a vessel in 🤷🏻‍♂️. Regardless sounds like that reel is charmed- hang on to that one. Enjoy the feast. 
cheers Zoran 

Edited by zmk1962

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2024 at 12:27 PM, Steve0 said:

Saragosa is a good choice for beach fishing and that's an amazing result for it's first cast.

Hey @Steve0, bit of a side note but I’ve read a bunch of your other posts where you detailed your experience spinning metals for tailor and salmon. I just have a question - do you use a Saragossa 6000 for this??

I have one - it’s a solid reel in my experience, but I found it a bit cumbersome for constant casting?

Edited by SpeedyGiraffe49

6 hours ago, SpeedyGiraffe49 said:

I just have a question - do you use a Saragossa 6000 for this??

Mine is a 5000. It over-guns the rod, but Shimano's SW sealing doesn't come in a smaller size.

By cumbersome, do you mean it tires you? If yes, try a lighter lure. My rod is 10'6". If I clip on a 50g lure, the leverage casting that weight starts to become an issue. It wears me out fairly quickly. Using 40g (when I've been working the beach regularly), I can cast for a few hours without getting too fatigued.  25g is even easier (and offer fish less centrifugal force to dislodge the hook during aerial heads shakes). 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Steve0 said:

Mine is a 5000. It over-guns the rod, but Shimano's SW sealing doesn't come in a smaller size.

By cumbersome, do you mean it tires you? If yes, try a lighter lure. My rod is 10'6". If I clip on a 50g lure, the leverage casting that weight starts to become an issue. It wears me out fairly quickly. Using 40g (when I've been working the beach regularly), I can cast for a few hours without getting too fatigued.  25g is even easier (and offer fish less centrifugal force to dislodge the hook during aerial heads shakes). 

Yeah it tires me a bit haha. That’s a helpful point re: lure weight - I’ll try that. Thanks mate!