Waging " Grub " war

BaitDropper

Yeah, the local bee guy a few doors down ( we actually fish the local river together) actually teaches bee keeping at the local tech, so he gave me the run down on it all, a lot of hives were gotten rid of.

We get a fair few red belly blacks here and there fairly easy to deal with if your careful and sensible, But the brown's, different kettle of fish, they get real aggressive, as did the one I tried to relocate from our back door, nasty breed of snake. The worst part was I casually walked out the back slider and was only a meter away from it in a dream world, bare foot and coffee in hand, so it could have been a different outcome !!.. managed to push it out away from the sliding door, with a mop the wife had sat outside to dry, but it got severely agro at me. It's a cobbled stone area, so that was too my advantage, but it took me 30 minutes to get it away from the house.  You get into trouble with them, when a you think a quick spade thru the head will fix it, but that's a stupid action to take, there quick and smart and a spade handle is way too short and why most people get bit. 

Sounds like a super friendly Kooka you've got hanging a round, brilliant, ours I'm sure get fed locally by Neighbours, we haven't done that so there a bit timid, but there's always a stack of them around, beautiful birds. I luv the wildlife we have around here, But the browns,  not so much 😁

Although I haven't had any issues with curl grubs in the lawn, i grow a solid amount of natives and get the odd one or two, but the natives which prefer richer, moist soils there would  be 15-20 of them they, seem to like rich, moist soils. My current war is trying to convince a neighbour to erase the weed asparagus they have growing everywhere so it dosnt spread like a fire into our yard, 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BaitDropper said:

Hi Zoran, I feel your pain brother !!

I too had a lemon tree nailed by them, BUT I am onto it in a big way now. I pulled 100 odd by hand off the lemon tree at one stage during summer but kept oil on my other young fruit trees and I seem to have won the battle with them..  Seasonal weather, is suppose to dictate whether these predators come out in numbers, which seems to ring true with the weather we have had over the last 6 months or so..

On a footnote, regarding curl grubs, after applying the Acelepryn and giving the lawn a watering yesterday arvo, for the first time there was none of the Bugga's coming up for a feed early evening as I have had recently, I normally walk around and pick up 20-30 of them tucking into a good feed on top. I expected this considering I had watered the lawn, however, quite unexpectedly, when walking around this morning, I picked up near 50, decidedly sick looking curl grubs, laying belly up, still alive, but not happy campers at all. I didn't think the Acelepryn Granules would have such a quick effect like this, but it has certainly given them a wee hurry up 😁. It's suppose to work as a preventative type insecticide, so this was a good out come for me and gives me hope that by next summer I should have them well under control..

My wife has declared, that I am now officially obsessed !! And I need to get the boat out and spend some time fishing !! for my mental state of mind 😃.. 

I will indeed do this in the next few days, But I will do so with the peace of mind, that I am on top of this " Grub war "  and I am still sane and not obsessed  👀

Laughing at your wife saying obsessive. Stewy was also thinking of going fishing but rain was predicted. 

Swordie saw the sun was out at 3pm ish and he rushed to the shop to get potting mix to throw over some of the naked areas on the recovering lawn. He also took the opportunity to mow front, back and half the neighbours front (cause it makes our house look better :thumbup:). 
He only mowed it 2 days ago :( 

We may need a support group here and say a hi to the wife @BaitDropper 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, BaitDropper said:

Yeah, the local bee guy a few doors down ( we actually fish the local river together) actually teaches bee keeping at the local tech, so he gave me the run down on it all, a lot of hives were gotten rid of.

We get a fair few red belly blacks here and there fairly easy to deal with if your careful and sensible, But the brown's, different kettle of fish, they get real aggressive, as did the one I tried to relocate from our back door, nasty breed of snake. The worst part was I casually walked out the back slider and was only a meter away from it in a dream world, bare foot and coffee in hand, so it could have been a different outcome !!.. managed to push it out away from the sliding door, with a mop the wife had sat outside to dry, but it got severely agro at me. It's a cobbled stone area, so that was too my advantage, but it took me 30 minutes to get it away from the house.  You get into trouble with them, when a you think a quick spade thru the head will fix it, but that's a stupid action to take, there quick and smart and a spade handle is way too short and why most people get bit. 

Sounds like a super friendly Kooka you've got hanging a round, brilliant, ours I'm sure get fed locally by Neighbours, we haven't done that so there a bit timid, but there's always a stack of them around, beautiful birds. I luv the wildlife we have around here, But the browns,  not so much 😁

Big, black snakes are said to eat other snakes, which would make a large resident good to have about. Not knowing where they are would be the worry.  While usually docile, than can rile up as much as a brown.

Snakes are illegal to kill and, if you do, nature generates more to take their place.

Edited by Steve0

4 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Laughing at your wife saying obsessive. Stewy was also thinking of going fishing but rain was predicted. 

Swordie saw the sun was out at 3pm ish and he rushed to the shop to get potting mix to throw over some of the naked areas on the recovering lawn. He also took the opportunity to mow front, back and half the neighbours front (cause it makes our house look better :thumbup:). 
He only mowed it 2 days ago :( 

We may need a support group here and say a hi to the wife @BaitDropper 

I’d be giving your lawn a core aerate and throw some 80/20 topdressing mix on it and down the core holes with a lawn levelling rake.

You can hire a machine, have it done or do it yourself like this idiot.I wonder who that idiot in video is?😅

13 hours ago, Fab1 said:

I’d be giving your lawn a core aerate and throw some 80/20 topdressing mix on it and down the core holes with a lawn levelling rake.

IMG_1243.mov 14.23 MB · 1 download  

You can hire a machine, have it done or do it yourself like this idiot.I wonder who that idiot in video is?😅

He does all that Fabian. 
A kindly neighbour gave him a pair of the spiked shoes a few years ago and he nearly broke his neck. I threw them straight in the bin!!

He has a wonderful trident that he uses to aerate. He knows every blade of grass around our house don't you worry. In 4 weeks he has brought it back to a satisfactory state. Sill more to do. Weed and bindis all sorted too, we have never had any of those and it is usually like a carpet to walk on. 

The Venom Professional did the trick to reduce numbers to zero. Moths should go hibernate soon. Hit it with the Acelepryn and again in 6 months should sort it out.

Here are some before and after shots.

IMG_0159.jpeg
BEFOREIMG_2479.jpeg

AFTER ARMY WORM ATTACK

IMG_2980.jpeg

4 WEEKS LATER

IMG_2979.jpegIMG_2717.jpeg

FLOWERS HAVE BLOOMED AMAZINGLY

IMG_2718.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

He does all that Fabian. 
A kindly neighbour gave him a pair of the spiked shoes a few years ago and he nearly broke his neck. I threw them straight in the bin!!

He has a wonderful trident that he uses to aerate. He knows every blade of grass around our house don't you worry. In 4 weeks he has brought it back to a satisfactory state. Sill more to do. Weed and bindis all sorted too, we have never had any of those and it is usually like a carpet to walk on. 

The Venom Professional did the trick to reduce numbers to zero. Moths should go hibernate soon. Hit it with the Acelepryn and again in 6 months should sort it out.

Here are some before and after shots.

IMG_0159.jpeg
BEFOREIMG_2479.jpeg

AFTER ARMY WORM ATTACK

IMG_2980.jpeg

4 WEEKS LATER

IMG_2979.jpegIMG_2717.jpeg

FLOWERS HAVE BLOOMED AMAZINGLY

IMG_2718.jpeg

Do you rent Swordie out Donna?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Do you rent Swordie out Donna?

Ha Ha.

Donna, you should be very proud of his effort there, brilliant..

I'm not quite there yet to display photo's, but I'll get there...

• Like 1

As I have always said, if gardening is not a hobby you enjoy, you are better off to just have grass (not lawn) and just hack it down with the mower. Gardening is quite fun if you keep at it, do a little bit often is my motto, once you let a garden get overgrown, you’re in trouble. Just looking around (pottering to oldies) pulling the odd weed or pruning odds and ends is quite enjoyable and rewarding.