Unusual Capture on an SP

I was fishing for flathead with soft plastics at Narrabeen lake this afternoon when I got slammed by something that's a first for me. It ran me all over the place on the light outfit and I couldn't figure out what it was as it clearly wasn't a flattie by the way it took off. After a few minutes of back and forth and taking drag at times I was surprised to see a big bully mullet finally at my feet. 

image.jpeg.6029270c411cc5b0e0c987a600893bb1.jpeg

It measured 47cm. Maybe other Raiders have caught them on lures before but I thought they only ate weed or bread.

Managed a couple of average sized flathead 44 and 42, after that. They look pretty small next to the mullet.

image.jpeg.983aaf7a4f1387bf386aed9206082c13.jpeg

Been fishing for more than 60 years and I never thought I'd say catching a mullet was a big deal but it was new for me if only because I caught it on a SP.

Cheers

Fil

• Like 20

Can confirm, I have caught numerous mullet on lures, not jag hooked (actually fully swallowed a lure). Always when they are running and really schooled up so they are fired enough to actually hit the lure.

Got this one last July at Evans Head on a double clutch rolled through a massive school of them -

image.thumb.png.42a561e9038cb0736caca0f359a0cf40.png

Filmed this vid at Nambucca a couple years back - 

• Like 4

This isn't unheard of, I've seen and caught lots of poddy mullet on small surface stickbaits. I think the surface lures would resemble more closely what they eat than the plastics, like maybe a small prawn or bug splashing around on the surface 👍

• Like 2

Yep, caught my FR record on a soft plastic as by-catch as well. Bloody things pull like a freight train and nearly spooled me twice on my 1000 reel

• Like 4

Thanks for all the feedback.

Interesting to hear that other Raiders have caught mullet on various lures especially when they are schooling up, which I think they will be doing over the coming month prior to their sea run.

I got a mid to high 40's one once on a Halco 30g slice that it ate using bream gear. Wasn't nearly the fight that the next one put up that I foul hooked through the tail. There was a large school of them bunched up off Barrenjoey Headland. Couldn't work out why they were so thick until we went to net it and a Tiger Shark at least as big as my mates 14ft tinny followed it up. We left after that.

• Like 1