Sequel to Mullet capture

I posted a report last week of a large bully mullet I caught on an SP. The fillets were magnificent in the smoker - my wife and I thought it was the tastiest fish I'd ever done in the smoker.

I kept the gut (froze) and used it for bait when fishing in Brisbane Waters earlier this week. It was a great success with the bream . I caught 2 on the first afternoon and dropped a few others. We went back the next day and caught five more, the largest 38cm down to 31cm plus a couple that were under 30cm that went back even though probably legal (30 is my minimum). I remember using mullet gut years ago and I'd forgotten how good it is (although messy).

I ran out of the mullet gut after the first day but had some salted mackerel, defrosted squid (months old) and peeled green prawns. By far and away the crappy old squid was the favourite, go figure.

I think the fish were probably turned on by the muddy water after last week's deluge plus its around the time they start the spawning run. One pic of the fish from the second arvo.

image.thumb.jpeg.a8e7d229ad50f0e403a2eaae1e2467d3.jpeg

• Like 16

Waste not want not Fil. Good conversion.

I used to go to SWR to stock up from the Winter Tailor run and we used to smoke some of them. They were very good when smoked. Same with Trout I reckon. Adds a whole new dimension to the edible quality of the less popular (edible) fish species. Good catch of healthy looking Bream there.

Cheers, bn

• Like 2

Nice catch of bream.

Mullet gut was always a favoured bream bait in the old days 😁, when I was a little bit younger that is. It is still used but not by many now. As you said, stinky stuff but the bream can smell it regardless of the water conditions.

• Like 1