Hacking flatties

Headed out into the Hacking at a very leisurely 10am this morning as the wind had dropped off from yesterday. Pumped some nippers and tried the mullet trap for nada. Drifted flats up and down river for only one whiting then headed to the main channel at low tide to drift the drop offs. 
The rain came,the Bimini went up and the fish came on. I was busted off by something decent on a nipper, lost a jumping salmon IMG_4731.thumb.jpeg.202e7edceb4a92fdc1f440e9564c95b3.jpegand then pulled up a shovel nose. 
As the rain stopped I managed a triple hook up of 40+ flatties all on 6lb line with nippers. A few more drifts saw a 52 and 57 come on board and a couple busted me off. Also scored a trevally to keep for sashimi. Pleasant few hours on the water, eagles overhead and terns diving everywhere 👌

IMG_4730.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Very nice there Rob. No complaints about those.

As the rain drifted over - I saw it on the radar - I wondered who would be lucky enough to be out there in the rain? Now know it was you. 😁 You are having a fish, then the sky dumps onto you, not much you can do. The worst is when you see lightning flashing down, hear the big bangs then realise the storm is right over the top of you.

27 minutes ago, Yowie said:

The worst is when you see lightning flashing down, hear the big bangs then realise the storm is right over the top of you.

.... and that's when you're thankful you are still fishing with your old fibreglass rod rather than a fancy new carbon fibre lightning rod ️  🤣

Well done Rob ... for some reason I have been struggling to catch flatties this season ... so any picture of them brings on a pang.

Cheers Zoran

15 hours ago, Yowie said:

Very nice there Rob. No complaints about those.

As the rain drifted over - I saw it on the radar - I wondered who would be lucky enough to be out there in the rain? Now know it was you. 😁 You are having a fish, then the sky dumps onto you, not much you can do. The worst is when you see lightning flashing down, hear the big bangs then realise the storm is right over the top of you.

Thanks Dave

it was worth waiting out and good to catch fish ina new spot👌

14 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

.... and that's when you're thankful you are still fishing with your old fibreglass rod rather than a fancy new carbon fibre lightning rod ️  🤣

Well done Rob ... for some reason I have been struggling to catch flatties this season ... so any picture of them brings on a pang.

Cheers Zoran

Get out there Zoran!

The water is still warm and you might save on fuel not having to head offshore!

14 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Well done mate, I think I saw you in the rain, we were over at Lilli Pilli. SIlly me detached the bimini so we had to sit there and cop it.

Thanks Isaac

I didn’t have a rain jacket with me and the Bimini didn’t do a lot to keep me dry as the South easter blew the rain sideways! I saw a couple of boats around Lilli Pilli. One guy in a Stabicraft got a feed of bream on the flats there all caught on cheesy chicken!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Get out there Zoran!

The water is still warm and you might save on fuel not having to head offshore!

... the fuel is an investment .... that's what I keep telling myself  🙄 

• Haha 1

Great catch of perfect sized flatties. Best time of year for them I reckon especially if you can get out there mid week. Shame about the rain but you could have got wet AND caught no fish 🤔.

• Like 1