Was going to head out to the rocks for some pelagics on jigs and was wondering if you could cast a 30 or 40g jig with a 60-120g rod and if so, what are the best jigs for targetting bonnies and kingies. I have 3 jigs all in pillie colours and range from 30g, 40g and 60g.

Thanks

Casting distance will definitely suffer if it's too much below your rod rating. Nevertheless, metals still would cast pretty well, if your rod action isn't too stiff. Halco Twisties and other similar ones are pretty popular for any predatory fish... I think bonnies like those striped Nomad jigs, but I haven't tried that yet... That's just what I saw people are using off the rocks for them.

How long is the rod? I send out 50g jigs on a 150-300g rod, but it's close to 9ft so I can maintain a reasonable distance, but in saying that, I am changing to a different setup. Because that rods for lifting kings up onto the rocks. 

Anything silver is best for Bonnie's, like the halcos. 

On 4/22/2024 at 9:32 PM, The Asian Squid said:

Was going to head out to the rocks for some pelagics on jigs and was wondering if you could cast a 30 or 40g jig with a 60-120g rod and if so, what are the best jigs for targetting bonnies and kingies. I have 3 jigs all in pillie colours and range from 30g, 40g and 60g.

Thanks

Definitely not, ideal i do a lot of shore jigging these days and have gotten quite good at it.

my rod casts 20-80 g and i use PE 3 line but will switch to PE 1.5 with second spool to compensate for lost in casting distance when using 40g jigs

For bonnies 40g to 60 g is fine but sometimes fish are really finicky and i have to use 20-40g jigs to cast far in which case i switch to my light shore jigging rod  that i use in the harbour which casts up to 48g jigs.

Off the rocks PE 1.5 landing a king is a scary prospect and depends on ledge fyi.

DM me if you want to want to chat on it

Edited by faker
  • Like 1