Port Macquarie trip

Following up from my post about my Port Macquarie trip, this is a report of how it went.

Day 1: First day arrived at the NRMA park in the mid afternoon but didn't get to wet a line until later in the afternoon. Fishing off the  breakwall and first time with a new setup, Oceans Legacy Dreamcast 882L and Daiwa 23 TD Sol HD 4000D-CXH. Trying for a jewie but the current was very strong and even with a 3/8 oz jighead wasn't able to keep it near the bottom. About 10 minutes in hooked onto a decent fish which ended up being a legal tailor but unfortunately spat the hooks when I had it on the rocks and fell down a crack back into the water. Luckily there were more around as was able to pick another one up almost instantly and took it back for a feed, going 37cm. After that fish the bite suddenly turned off and being so close to the breakwall decided to come back later in the night, which unfortunately did not amount to anything.

Day 2: Had a quick flick in the morning but no joy so decided to head to a local tackle store to get some bait. While we were there, also decided to get an interesting looking weed fly that I hadn't seen anywhere else, but one of my mates had success with it for luderick in the past, so decided to try it out. The breakwall was littered with luderick fisherman and every few minutes I would see luderick being pulled up all around. All this time also seeing schools of massive sea mullet swimming past regularly. Still trying for a jewie unsuccessfully due to the current and decided to move to the town wharf to try my luck there. A ton of action on the surface action but really small so no hookups. My dad managed one 27cm bream on prawns which we had for dinner along with the tailor from day 1.

Day 3: Fishing the breakwall again, and saw the strangest thing - a school of sweep chasing and busting up on what seemed to be tiny baitfish, just like kings would do to other baitfish but on a much smaller scale, but also made it impossible to fish baits as the sweep would demolish them instantly. Went to try some spots around Settlement Point and other jetties around the area, but only dropping an undersized flatty. Came back to the breakwall later in the evening and into the night to hopefully get past the pickers. Managed two undersized bream and then a surprise 48cm flatty which we kept, drifting pilchard cubes in the wash. Got dusted a few times and managed to pull up two firsts for me, being what I think are Wirrah Cod and Eastern Kelpfish. After meeting some other people going for jewies as well, waited for the slack tide and moved to the mouth of the breakwall, where there was a lot more wash.

The current was less of a problem, and almost instantly one of the people I was fishing with hooked onto a steam train that dusted him in 30s. Having adrenalin and hopes high, a few casts later with a soft plastic into the wash, I was hooked up. Rod tip was thumping and fish which gave me hope of a jewie, and was pulling out line pretty fast. Whatever it was headed for the rocks hoping to dust me, but after hopping over boulders with the light of my head torch, managed to get a bit more control over the fight. The mystery creature had surfaced and alas, I spotted the roll of a wing and as it came closer my hopes of a jewie were dashed as the creature turned out to be a stingray of sorts, probably an eagle ray. Had heard of quite a few of them caught on bait, but none on lures, especially not a 4.2 inch soft plastic. It took one more run close to the rocks and cutting my braid, marking the end of my night session as I had to pack to leave the next day.

Day 4: No fishing got done until our pitstop at Karuah, where I got the opportunity to flick a line around the bridge, which saw many missed bites and no hookups. 

Overall, it was still a fun trip and still being able to get on some fish on both bait and lures, and while not getting a jewie was disappointing, it was my first time properly targeting them and with lures as well, and especially knowing how rare jewies can be, I couldn't really be too surprised. If anything, I am now more determined than ever to get one.

-Josh

IMG_4626.jpg

IMG_4632.jpg

IMG_4647.jpg

IMG_4648.jpg

• Like 14

An interesting report Josh, filled with excitement and anticipation of landing a Jewfish. You certainly set the bar high fishing strange water with lures...not the easiest way to catch a Jewie. What a lovely looking fish that one in the second last photo is. Keep at it, I'm sure you will be rewarded soon.

bn

• Like 1

Great report, i was up there at Easter and fished off the rocks at the lookout for some decent tailor.

The smell and crowds at the end of the breakwall was off putting though.

Hey guys, It has come to my attention that the fish in the second last photo is not a Wirrah cod and in fact a juvenile Black Rockcod (thankyou to @Blackfish for the ID). Due to it being a protected species, I just wanted to clarify that this one was safely released. 

-Josh

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lozzz said:

Great report, i was up there at Easter and fished off the rocks at the lookout for some decent tailor.

The smell and crowds at the end of the breakwall was off putting though.

Yea it was guaranteed that at almost any time there was someone fishing the breakwall. Wanted to fish the rocks as well but the swell made it too risky.