Hat Head: Offshore

Hi Raiders,

will be heading up north in a few weeks and would appreciate any advice.

Love catching Kingies, but am keen on getting to the FAD for Mahi and to the shelf as we are so close.

Any advice/tips greatly appreciated.

Also live bait areas, will be heading out at the ramp next to the Caravan Park.

Cheers

Arthur

If you're chasing kings, Fish Rock is easy enough to access from Hat Head. Just make sure if you're using bait you stay your 200m away from the Rock, otherwise get the sluggo's out.

I assume you've got in and out of there before, its a pretty shady channel with access only at high tide, even then, for small boats - otherwise its 30 minutes to SWR with a more reliable channel.  

• Like 1

Last time I was there the ramp had a lot of sand & needed a decent vehicle (4WD) to launch/retreive - was some time ago.

Agree re the island for kingies. No marks or ideas for wider out but it is very popular. Would suggest trolling out around the headland also but respect the LBG fishos if they are there - maybe go around the corner.

The weather has been poor lately and not much offshore fishing/reports. Have a look at the water current/temps. We were just discusing today that it is now Snapper season - SP's etc in the shallower to mid reefs. Heard of snapper off the rocks further south over the weekend.

Have a great trip

• Like 2

On 5/8/2024 at 4:39 PM, Hugh said:

If you're chasing kings, Fish Rock is easy enough to access from Hat Head. Just make sure if you're using bait you stay your 200m away from the Rock, otherwise get the sluggo's out.

I assume you've got in and out of there before, its a pretty shady channel with access only at high tide, even then, for small boats - otherwise its 30 minutes to SWR with a more reliable channel.  

So right Hugh, even SWR can be very dodgy. I’ve been there on many occasions and twice had boats capsize or get rolled and crew thrown out requiring Coast Patrol to rescue.