Anyone heating their sheds/Work shops?

Fab1

As the title says anyone running heating of some form?What are you using?

I'm thinking of several ways with pros and cons to all in regards to effort/cost etc.

I've though of store bought workshop heaters to installing a fireplace or making my own.

love to hear peoples ideas on heating they use.

Depends how often you will be in the shed during cold weather. A simple portable (LPG) gas heater, heat in a minute, prepaid bill for gas. A wood fire, heat in an hour, wood can be obtained for free (expensive if you have to buy it) Electric heater, just plug it in, heat in minutes, cheap to buy, not so cheap to run. 

4 hours ago, noelm said:

Depends how often you will be in the shed during cold weather. A simple portable (LPG) gas heater, heat in a minute, prepaid bill for gas. A wood fire, heat in an hour, wood can be obtained for free (expensive if you have to buy it) Electric heater, just plug it in, heat in minutes, cheap to buy, not so cheap to run. 

Yeah, lots to think about.I was even thinking kero heater with windows cracked open.I’m in there a lot, sometimes all day.It does get cold being a tin shed.I was thinking more along the lines of wood fired as I could keep it warm for my animals too at night and I have a lifetime supply of wood.

I’m leaning towards making a wood fired heater at this stage not sure.

44 gallon drum with top cut out and grid made for the bottom. you could make one in about an hour and run an extractor fan to direct the smoke out a window or cut a hole in the shed to fit the extractor fan.

I have a large outside gas heater for the gazebo but not recommended for indoors .

Frank

53 minutes ago, frankS said:

Product photo of Fanmaster 20kw space heater

Something like this might work LPG fueled

Frank

Have been looking at those.To run heating in there throughout the night isn’t a cheap exercise unless I use wood I’m thinking from the research I’ve done.LPG doesn’t last long and neither does kero (seen the price of Kero?) I haven’t bought any since it was still available at the local servos bowser.

Electrical heaters are expensive to run for long periods too.Think I’ll make a wood fired oven or just buy a fireplace either new or used.

Thanks for your input mate.

1 hour ago, brapbrap said:

I use a desiel heater off amazon, works amazing.

Which one and what’s its consumption?

57 minutes ago, brapbrap said:

image.thumb.png.2023fef239f5687b28a2fbdc4be408d6.png

I get about a week and out of the 10lt tank, thats using it most evenings and on the weekend.

Hi It states 12 volt does this mean it uses a 12v battery as well as diesel fuel. OR what does the 12 volt do. Pardon my ignorance . I am interested in getting one of these but don't want to carry a 12v battery around with me .

Frank

If you have a ready supply of wood, then without a doubt that’s the way to go. The only drawback is it’s not instant on/off, there is dozens of second hand inside fire places for sale very cheap, they are losing appeal as wood is hard to get and expensive in city/urban areas, and takes space to store. In your case, with plenty of wood, it’s a no brainer.

9 hours ago, brapbrap said:

image.thumb.png.2023fef239f5687b28a2fbdc4be408d6.png

I get about a week and out of the 10lt tank, thats using it most evenings and on the weekend.

Cheers.

8 hours ago, frankS said:

Hi It states 12 volt does this mean it uses a 12v battery as well as diesel fuel. OR what does the 12 volt do. Pardon my ignorance . I am interested in getting one of these but don't want to carry a 12v battery around with me .

Frank

You’ll need a power supply or 12v outlet to run them mate.

16 minutes ago, noelm said:

If you have a ready supply of wood, then without a doubt that’s the way to go. The only drawback is it’s not instant on/off, there is dozens of second hand inside fire places for sale very cheap, they are losing appeal as wood is hard to get and expensive in city/urban areas, and takes space to store. In your case, with plenty of wood, it’s a no brainer.

Me thinks the same mate.I cut my own wood for fires and make my own hardwood charcoal so it doesn’t cost anything except my time.

• Like 1

I bought one off eBay, the shorter/squarer version. Pumps out lots of heat. The 12vdc is needed for the fan, controls and ignition. Got my one for $140, same version in the usual camping shops in the $400 to $600 range! I use it in the boat (exhausted over side) and in the shed…

deffo go with the wood fire option. I'd say a closed fire box with an electric fan option or maybe a ceiling fan.

closed box means you could feel safe to let it burn overnight unattended without sparks flying about and regulate the air so it will keep on ticking all night

fan will move heat around more quickly at first then you can turn it off to save power 

• 2 months later...

Only thing I can add is if you’re going to heat it you need to heat it enough to keep the temp above the dew point. If you let anything metal drop below the dew point then heat the air around it you will get condensation when this warm air makes contact with the cold surface . Either that or use a dehumidifier like I do .