Something different from me

Posted (edited)

Hey raiders,

A very different post to my usual stuff. I always wondered if a salted carp fillet would work well as an offshore bait (especially deep dropping the shelf) so finally finding myself with a few spare hours Wayno and I headed to Parramatta Park for a cast with some bread, leftover puff pastry dough and sweet corn suspended under a quill float. We burleyed up and fished off one of the weirs. Four large specimens showed up and Wayno was on. Unfortunately the hook pulled as he brought the carp close and it spooked the others.

That was it for the rest of the time we had. Nevertheless a glorious few hours spent in the warm sun. I will have to retry in the near future - and finish testing my theory of upgrading a carp to a blue eye cod.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a more productive spot than the weir ?

cheers Zoran 

Edited by zmk1962
fixed up video
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

The stretch of river from the wier at the rivercat wharf up to the wier under O’Connell st has heaps of them . If you spook the ones in one area just walk 50m and start again . 

I park on Stewart st 
IMG_0772.thumb.jpeg.7abb875d4b0e5c7458cde725f842d1b4.jpeg

footpath to stairs

IMG_0773.thumb.jpeg.34087fa1c10cb3b2e9dc77ee0ff4510c.jpeg

parking conditions .

IMG_0774.thumb.png.3b19e27cf981be4ec84a3f0d016e26a5.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, XD351 said:

The stretch of river from the wier at the rivercat wharf up to the wier under O’Connell st has heaps of them . If you spook the ones in one area just walk 50m and start again . 

I park on Stewart st 
IMG_0772.thumb.jpeg.7abb875d4b0e5c7458cde725f842d1b4.jpeg

footpath to stairs

IMG_0773.thumb.jpeg.34087fa1c10cb3b2e9dc77ee0ff4510c.jpeg

parking conditions .

IMG_0774.thumb.png.3b19e27cf981be4ec84a3f0d016e26a5.png

Thanks Ian. You must spend your spare time cataloguing spots mate. Good job. 👍 

cheers Zoran 

51 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Thanks Ian. You must spend your spare time cataloguing spots mate. Good job. 👍 

cheers Zoran 

🤣🤣🤣

Well spare time at work maybe - used to fish there when I was a kid but recently returned looking for bass and somewhere to fish that is less than half an hour from home . I’m always on the prowl for new spots especially ones that are free parking !

• Like 1

At least you didn’t have to clean the boat, flush the engine, clean the gear, fillet the fish, refuel the boat and on and on.

sometimes good to just flick a line.

• Like 2

Hahaha I watched the vid you have on and at first I thought the sound at the beginning was the drag running off and was thinking "Hot damn that fish is fighting really hard" then realized it was not the sound of the drag after all 🤣  Big carp!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Yowie said:

Sure is something different Zoran. Catching mud marlin, or trying to. 🤣

Catching bait mate … trying to 😂

9 hours ago, Larkin said:

At least you didn’t have to clean the boat, flush the engine, clean the gear, fillet the fish, refuel the boat and on and on.

sometimes good to just flick a line.

So true Chris … but wouldn’t it be great if a pest turned out to be best as bait ! 

8 hours ago, linewetter said:

Hahaha I watched the vid you have on and at first I thought the sound at the beginning was the drag running off and was thinking "Hot damn that fish is fighting really hard" then realized it was not the sound of the drag after all 🤣  Big carp!

The noise was coming from the bat colonies- the trees on each side were full of them. 
IMG_4275.thumb.jpeg.5fbe6f22d92a832b59b0179a4a421805.jpeg

cheers Zoran 

• Like 2