Return journey Hat Head stopover

Had a couple of nights at Hat Head again on the way home to break the trip back from Broken Head. Hit the rocks for one last fish . There was plenty of wash and the wind was quite strong from the north which was a change from the weeks of southerly we've had and luckily that suited the spot I wanted to fish from.

I landed one good sized bream early on about 34cm but it was a long wait for the next as I was pestered with lots of small tarwhine stealing the bait. Eventually a couple more bream then a different bite with plenty of weight to it which I quickly decided was a decent drummer. Sure enough after a bit of wrestling I got him to the surface straight below me and started to lift him clear of the water - he gave a few head shakes and the hook fell out...A few bad words were said as it was my first drummer in ages. Sometimes the hook is just wedged in their rows of fine teeth and doesn't penetrate and I guess that's what happened.

At least it inspired me to persist and after a long wait and trying lots of options I threw a bait way out further to the edge of the wash. Nothing for quite a while then a soft bite followed by plenty of weight. I had a lot of line to recover and the fish was racing back to the rock edges so again I figured it for a drummer. I wound in as fast as I could then a short tussle near the rock edges and cunje and I lifted him in. No monster but a good 2kg and about 45cm. Happy days - a drummer at last to finish the trip.

image.jpeg.f2a92d68165402580d179c15e0c49e44.jpeg

Now back to wet Sydney and cleaning the van.

• Like 18

A good piggie and a few bream worth the effort.

My van needs a good clean (and the car). Arrived home 2 days ago with a lot of dirt/mud on both.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Yowie said:

A good piggie and a few bream worth the effort.

My van needs a good clean (and the car). Arrived home 2 days ago with a lot of dirt/mud on both.

Dirt and mud- sign of a good trip hopefully 

• Like 1

Well done Fil. Often works the "last fish" episode; Glad you managed to land a Drummer...good fighting fish and never a guarantee that you will land them.

bn

• Like 2