Mercury 50 2 stroke - water not circulating

karapoti

Hi, did a precheck today of the boat before tomorrows planned trip and noticed that the tail tell was not squirting any water out. Checked the tube and cleared a small blockage, but also there was no water coming out of where the tube connects to the engine. Found some great videos online and figured I need to take off the prop/gear box to check the state of the impellor. 

Problem is that I can't get the long nut which connects the two threaded rods to move. The bottom rod seems to be moving ok, but the bolt won't move on the top rod. I've sprayed with RP7, and will keep applying overnight. 

Does anyone have some advice? Thanks!

image.png.b3298920e50445c8b4cfb1e9b7b944f4.png

Hi it seems strange for an impeller to just stop completely try cleaning telltail again whipper snipper line works well and if using muffs make sure there a good fit. I have tohatsu and the joint between the rods is a sleeve with a pin through it no nuts 

• Like 1

Boat has been idle for a few months.

Telltail tube is clear, tried with the tube off. Put some whipper snipper line in direct to the manifold, about a foot then stopped, it came out slightly wet.

Just put the prop in a big tub of water and fired it up. Noticed a small amount of air/exhaust coming out the hole so there is movement.

End of the day I need to get that nut undone ....

Have you got a ring spanner that is a good fit for the problem nut? If you have a good fitting spanner try to add an extension to the spanner (a hollow bar, pipe, or metal tube) to give you more leverage. GENTLY pull on the bar/spanner and see if it will release. If not put more RP7 on, let it sit a while and try again. Be careful.

Most likely the impeller will be the problem. It is probably cracked and falling apart from not being used. Good luck with it.

bn

Edited by big Neil
more info

yes time to check pump also pull thermo stat and put hose done the thermo hole under pressure even hot warm water even better it should come out telltalle now, if so pumps the problem also once pump  and leg off put hose directly to copper inlet pipe under pressure just to make sure you dont have a blockage where water tube connects to the block cheers dunc333

• Like 1

Thanks all.

Did one last crack at it this morning, dunked the prop in a big bucket and sprayed lots of water at the intake for a while, started it and it took and water came out the tailtell like a horse piss. Took the boat out in the harbour, all good. Lots of small fish, but was a nice day on the water today.

Still need to get inside, and lots of other things to do, Joys of an old second hand boat (first one). Learning every day.

up the wahs. 

Enjoy your 2 stroke - cheap to run & easy to fix.

Having put a 2nd hand suzi 140 on my boat I am up to a 100 hour service and quoted $600-700. Thats $7/hr plus fuel

Good luck.