Port Hacking - Quiet

Apart from a few trips to Como to try for blackish and a few bait sessions for yakkas and squid, I haven't had the chance to get out on the boat for a while. 

Headed out early this morning to Lilli Pilli, baits were pillies, prawns, squid and yakka fillets. Not much around, even the reddies few and far between. When there was a little light a jew around the 50 mark took a piece of squid and a flattie around the same size on the squid as well. Lost something quite large that took a squid strip, swam under the boat then line went slack, took of the other way at quite a pace and took 80-100m in one run. Fought it for a few minutes then the line broke, very curious as there was minimal headshakes, but I could feel a tail beat and it wasn't swimming all over the place.

A few trevally just over which were released. Pillies and yakkas went practically un-touched. The wind picked up quite early so punched into South West Arm to try for some leatherjackets. Picked up a bream in the high 20's and a just legal reddie, both released. The wind made it quite difficult to detect the finicky bites from the jackets and took me a while to just get two. Lost another good fish which ran me under a snag. Anchor got snagged so took a bit to get it out, by then the wind was howling and time for home. Flattie fillets all to show for the efforts but worth the trip out.

IMG_1770.thumb.jpeg.0e60f077f1cbcadb0fcdd52eddd5ef04.jpeg

Edited by Isaac Ct
Photo
  • Like 13

3 hours ago, james Cutler said:

Great report. Worth the trip with problems.

Well done.

Thankyou

3 hours ago, Yowie said:

Some fish about which is good. Better than nothing at all Issac.

The big critter sounds like it could have been an eagle ray.

Thanks, always hoping it was, would’ve hated to find out it was something better. Stood no chance on the 6lb set up

43 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

That time of the year again Isaac. Good you got a feed all the same. Hope you get out again with the rest of the school holidays ahead.

Thanks Mike, always a bit slow but i would’ve pulled together a decent catch if I had kept everything. Hoping to get out this week again

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Isaac Ct said:

Thankyou

Thanks, always hoping it was, would’ve hated to find out it was something better. Stood no chance on the 6lb set up

6 pound  🤣

Always use a heavier line for squid baits. The larger critters will take squid. I use 15 pound handlines for squid baits, and have had a few fingers burnt by the big runs - larger jewies, eagle rays, kingies, black rays about 5 foot across, and others that do not stop.

47 minutes ago, Yowie said:

6 pound  🤣

Always use a heavier line for squid baits. The larger critters will take squid. I use 15 pound handlines for squid baits, and have had a few fingers burnt by the big runs - larger jewies, eagle rays, kingies, black rays about 5 foot across, and others that do not stop.

Yep I don’t know why I undergun myself. I always have a squid bait on a heavier line and a pillie or yakka out. Just unlucky today the fish took the lighter line 

South West Arm’s definitely the best place to get out of the wind.

it sounds like a ray to me too - you do see a quite a few of those eagle rays around.

enjoy the flatty fillets mate!

17 hours ago, Larkin said:

South West Arm’s definitely the best place to get out of the wind.

it sounds like a ray to me too - you do see a quite a few of those eagle rays around.

enjoy the flatty fillets mate!

Thankyou, even up the arm the wind was still horrible

21 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Yep I don’t know why I undergun myself. I always have a squid bait on a heavier line and a pillie or yakka out. Just unlucky today the fish took the lighter line 

In my younger days, I bought a 5 foot rod, small reel and filled it with 3 pound mono. The jewies took forever to bring up to the boat. 😂