Starlo on steaming Chinese style fish (soy, shallots, ginger)

Hi all,

Starlo is pretty on the money with this method of steaming fish Chinese style.

Best thing about steaming is it turns often 'second rate' fish like wrasse into something quite delectable. Cod and Yellowbelly are quite delicious cooked like this too. About the only thing I don't like steaming is flathead - prefer those filleted and pan fried in a bit of butter.

I'm too lazy to do this (I nuke my whole steamed fish) but this is a very good way of doing it. This is what my dad does when my mum lets him in the kitchen (generally when she's out and we've gone night fishing which is like never these days since I had kids :().

Enjoy!

Mike

• Like 2

I watched that when he first posted it, my only tip/critique is that he didn't stuff the fish body cavity and in between the cross fillets scoring with the ginger spring onions and soy sauce, that takes the flavour to the next level because those flavours can influence, otherwise really good, that is the way I have been cooking bream for a while now, works quite well. 

• Like 1

Smashed chunks of ginger as well helps. Its a bit different to just placing the cut ginger.

But yeah this style is good for those species. Wrasses, bream, snapper. As you say, I wouldnt do it for flathead or any species with a more solid meat.

• Like 1

I think I remember someone referring to him as Steve starving back a long time ago 🤣🤣

I  commented on that video saying if he can make carp edible he will have achieved god status - he reckoned he has eaten it and it can be good if done properly but I have heard this many times from many different sources and I’m yet to see someone eating one of these mud marlin delicacies on YouTube or in person ! I want to see someone cook one and eat the lot - not just one mouthful then spit it out once off camera .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XD351 said:

I think I remember someone referring to him as Steve starving back a long time ago 🤣🤣

I  commented on that video saying if he can make carp edible he will have achieved god status - he reckoned he has eaten it and it can be good if done properly but I have heard this many times from many different sources and I’m yet to see someone eating one of these mud marlin delicacies on YouTube or in person ! I want to see someone cook one and eat the lot - not just one mouthful then spit it out once off camera .

The mighty mud marlin would require a bit more effort to cook properly. It's actually a very famous dish in my hometown but few people actually cook it at home. Ginger and shallots on steam are def not enough in this case. If someone is interested, there're some videos on youtube (mostly in Chinese tho but have switch on auto-generated cc). The sweet and sour flavour was my fav when I was a child.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, XD351 said:

I have done it in China, Issue of carp is alot of small bones

• Like 1

On 7/29/2024 at 7:04 PM, Little_Flatty said:

Hi all,

Starlo is pretty on the money with this method of steaming fish Chinese style.

Best thing about steaming is it turns often 'second rate' fish like wrasse into something quite delectable. Cod and Yellowbelly are quite delicious cooked like this too. About the only thing I don't like steaming is flathead - prefer those filleted and pan fried in a bit of butter.

I'm too lazy to do this (I nuke my whole steamed fish) but this is a very good way of doing it. This is what my dad does when my mum lets him in the kitchen (generally when she's out and we've gone night fishing which is like never these days since I had kids :().

Enjoy!

Mike

I beg to differ on steamed flathead. its like eating steamed coral trout/grouper for me in soy sauce when steamed

On 7/29/2024 at 8:10 PM, Peter KH said:

I watched that when he first posted it, my only tip/critique is that he didn't stuff the fish body cavity and in between the cross fillets scoring with the ginger spring onions and soy sauce, that takes the flavour to the next level because those flavours can influence, otherwise really good, that is the way I have been cooking bream for a while now, works quite well. 

Yep that’s one good addition. A pinch of white pepper in the cavity doesn’t go astray either.

7 hours ago, Rob81 said:

Smashed chunks of ginger as well helps. Its a bit different to just placing the cut ginger.

But yeah this style is good for those species. Wrasses, bream, snapper. As you say, I wouldnt do it for flathead or any species with a more solid meat.

Interesting Rob. I’m going to try the smashed ginger idea. Makes sense. Now to catch something to cook!

6 hours ago, XD351 said:

Haha he’s certainly not starving. Maybe if he only had carp to eat 🤣

2 hours ago, lhan said:

The mighty mud marlin would require a bit more effort to cook properly. It's actually a very famous dish in my hometown but few people actually cook it at home. Ginger and shallots on steam are def not enough in this case. If someone is interested, there're some videos on youtube (mostly in Chinese tho but have switch on auto-generated cc). The sweet and sour flavour was my fav when I was a child.

Looks good Henry. So you come from the culinary carp capital of the world!🤣

1 hour ago, faker said:

I have done it in China, Issue of carp is alot of small bones

Yes I recall having eaten various species of carp steamed with soy when I lived in China for a year, but I think they were different species?

1 hour ago, faker said:

I beg to differ on steamed flathead. its like eating steamed coral trout/grouper for me in soy sauce when steamed

I like a bit of fat on the fish for steaming. Flathead aren’t bad steamed, it’s just I enjoy them more pan fried with butter 😎.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Yep that’s one good addition. A pinch of white pepper in the cavity doesn’t go astray either.

Interesting Rob. I’m going to try the smashed ginger idea. Makes sense. Now to catch something to cook!

Haha he’s certainly not starving. Maybe if he only had carp to eat 🤣

Looks good Henry. So you come from the culinary carp capital of the world!🤣

Yes I recall having eaten various species of carp steamed with soy when I lived in China for a year, but I think they were different species?

I like a bit of fat on the fish for steaming. Flathead aren’t bad steamed, it’s just I enjoy them more pan fried with butter 😎.

Oh plenty of asian carp here too. Only good one is deep fried battered with sweet sour sauce