Fecund Flathead Frolics Feature Feverish Fight For Freedom

3 hours ago, big Neil said:

You're a card Dr Raymond...you should be dealt with.

bn

Hey bn. On an unrelated topic. I`m heading to Cunnamulla via Cobar and Bourke for a couple of weeks from this Sunday. I was going to throw a travel rod in the truck. Have you had any experience fishing the Warrego River system or other bodies of water in the area ? I`ve executed quite a few pigs around there but never fished it. I understand there`s a chance of cod or Golden perch but expect to only strand a few European carp on the bank. Any tips greatly appreciated.

53 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Coffee machine camping - O Yeah

The amount of " comforts from home " available to campers now is insane. No more daily filling the esky with ice as your fridge. It sort of detracts from the whole back to nature / survival thing but the demand for luxury is high. Each to his own I guess.

On 9/25/2024 at 12:34 PM, LuckyFil said:

I can hear your wife in the background saying “don’t encourage him”!!

I agree with Yowie regarding flatty preferred locations, I often catch them in areas of weed and sand patches in Narrabeen lake and Brisbane Waters. If it’s real weedy a plastic on a jig head snags less weed and still catches plenty of fish 

Yes , LuckyFil it certainly is prime flathead habitat and is very productive. The weedless lures seem to work well and I should use more of them . Donna is very supportive when I bring home tea and understands my weakness in tackle stores [ I hope ]. Still , it doesn`t stop the odd jibe.

The only thing I have to do with coffee, is to use the paper filters to remove sediment in red wine. Nothing worse than  sediment to affect the taste of a good red.

Filter paper into a funnel, funnel over a large glass or a caraffe, then pour and filter. Makes a difference to the taste (not all red wines have sediment)

This is my coffee tip  😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Yowie said:

The only thing I have to do with coffee, is to use the paper filters to remove sediment in red wine. Nothing worse than  sediment to affect the taste of a good red.

Filter paper into a funnel, funnel over a large glass or a caraffe, then pour and filter. Makes a difference to the taste (not all red wines have sediment)

This is my coffee tip  😂

I got a headache just reading that Yowie. It certainly is inventive. We`ll call it the Yowie Method or Yowanology.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

This is my coffee tip  😂

Hi Yowie
I have been doing the same for years - best way to remove the sediment and lets you enjoy the wine top the last drop!!  As they say, waste not want not!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, DrRaymondSnapper said:

Hey bn. On an unrelated topic. I`m heading to Cunnamulla via Cobar and Bourke for a couple of weeks from this Sunday. I was going to throw a travel rod in the truck. Have you had any experience fishing the Warrego River system or other bodies of water in the area ? I`ve executed quite a few pigs around there but never fished it. I understand there`s a chance of cod or Golden perch but expect to only strand a few European carp on the bank. Any tips greatly appreciated.

I have been to Cobar but not Bourke. Never fished these systems though I know enough to give you the heads up on gear to chuck in. Best option to catch fish in Central Western NSW is bait fishing. Murray Cod season is closed in most locations between Sept 1st and Nov 30th. Plenty of Golden Perch and Carp to entertain you though, also Silver Perch.

A 3-6kg rod, spin reel with 15 lb mono, size 2 bean sinker(s), 3/0 hooks. Double or single paternoster rig, each hook loaded with worms. This will catch everything in the water in that region. Take a chair, one of your wife's you beaut coffees and enjoy the sights and sounds of the real Australia. BTW, if you catch a Murray Cod (quite likely), release it unharmed. Take 2 rods (allowed) and 2 rod rests. Fish the edge of any current, deep holes (on outside bends) and snags.

Take your camera...you will get some great photo opportunities. Hopefully, you may have some to share with us all when you return home. I hope this helps. Good luck.

bn

Edited by big Neil
more info...
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, big Neil said:

I have been to Cobar but not Bourke. Never fished these systems though I know enough to give you the heads up on gear to chuck in. Best option to catch fish in Central Western NSW is bait fishing. Murray Cod season is closed in most locations between Sept 1st and Nov 30th. Plenty of Golden Perch and Carp to entertain you though, also Silver Perch.

A 3-6kg rod, spin reel with 15 lb mono, size 2 bean sinker(s), 3/0 hooks. Double or single paternoster rig, each hook loaded with worms. This will catch everything in the water in that region. Take a chair, one of your wife's you beaut coffees and enjoy the sights and sounds of the real Australia. BTW, if you catch a Murray Cod (quite likely), release it unharmed. Take 2 rods (allowed) and 2 rod rests. Fish the edge of any current, deep holes (on outside bends) and snags.

Take your camera...you will get some great photo opportunities. Hopefully, you may have some to share with us all when you return home. I hope this helps. Good luck.

bn

Thanks for the advice bn. You`re an early riser. I`m mostly photographing birds and catching snakes but I`ll throw in a couple of rods and the gear you suggested. Its a good way to pass the time waiting for photo opportunities. Any cod will be kissed and released unharmed. Your help is much appreciated.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

bn

@DrRaymondSnapper Good advice from bN on what you need for bait fishing.

If you prefer to try yellas on lures, similar rod and reel as you'd flick lures for flatties, maybe upsize the leader to 20lb to minimise snag damage. Small 1/4oz spinnerbaits, similar to Bassman Carls Compact, I like  Chartreuse/White or Black/Orange but any colour will work or if you want to play with hardbodies, Stumpjumpers in Size 2 or 3 work well. Try and fish areas with structure - logs, weed or especially twiggy laydowns.

If the carp are anything like they are around here, they'll occasionaly take a lure meant for a yella. You can also sightcast small paddletails or grubs at carp if you find them in shallows, try to cast past them and slowly bring it back to where they're sitting, sometimes you need to be almost on there nose before they seem to notice it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hill373737 said:

Have you seen an Aeropress  https://aeropress.com.au   - great way to make coffee especially when camping, quick and easy to clean up.

I just googled Aeropress Looks like a compact unit. Good for camping by the looks of it. I`ll pass the info on to Her Majesty. Thanks for the tip.

2 hours ago, Hill373737 said:

@DrRaymondSnapper Good advice from bN on what you need for bait fishing.

If you prefer to try yellas on lures, similar rod and reel as you'd flick lures for flatties, maybe upsize the leader to 20lb to minimise snag damage. Small 1/4oz spinnerbaits, similar to Bassman Carls Compact, I like  Chartreuse/White or Black/Orange but any colour will work or if you want to play with hardbodies, Stumpjumpers in Size 2 or 3 work well. Try and fish areas with structure - logs, weed or especially twiggy laydowns.

If the carp are anything like they are around here, they'll occasionaly take a lure meant for a yella. You can also sightcast small paddletails or grubs at carp if you find them in shallows, try to cast past them and slowly bring it back to where they're sitting, sometimes you need to be almost on there nose before they seem to notice it.

Thanks for the advice. I was considering whether I should take a few lures with me. I might take a few grubs and paddletails and a couple of hardbodies to try. Very helpful tip. Thank you.

• Like 1