Roseville Bridge

GC_Fishing

@Jo5hC and I had cracking day/evening session at Davidson Park, Roseville Bridge and Davidson Boat Ramp.
We started off flicking some minnows and grubs off Davidson Park, resulting in Josh catching 2 undersize flathead. Following this, we fished Roseville Bridge, aiming around the back eddies and area behind the bridge’s pilons, after around 15 minutes Josh hooked onto a nice trevally (40cm) on a 3.2 inch minnow. 

We then fished around the Davidson Boat Ramp area and burleyed some bread as a result of which, I caught 2 nice mullet and a good yakka (all around 28cm), as well as many undersize bream. We cut up the yakka into fillets, then slices and went back to the bridge for an evening bait fishing session, aiming for jewfish and large bream. After about 30 minutes and a few bites without a hookup we called it a day and went home with plenty of bait for the next few sessions.

Overall extremely pleased with this session, will keep you all posted on what results from the left over mullet and yakka bait.

flatty.jpg

josh trev.jpg

trev measure matt.jpg

mullet.jpg

measure matt baitfsh.jpg

• Like 14

12 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Nice effort there. You can eat those sand mullet if you like, fairly edible, just fillet and remove the ribs and black gut lining.

Don’t they have to be over 30 cm for eating? And under 15 cm for live bait? It doesn’t really say anything about the sizes in between on the website for bag and size limits. Maybe I’m reading it wrong. Also, sorry for asking a question on your post GC

Edited by TheFishyFisherman
  • Thanks 1

Nice work @GC_Fishing, some big Jewies lurk around the pylons, also salmon and Kingies sometimes make there way up there, so put a live yakka out and hang on. 

If you see them, please encourage others fishing on the wharf to clean up if they fish there, - often grubs who leave bait bags and mess. It’s actually not allowed to fish of that wharf - but so long as they reel in and stay out of the way of boats coming and going - no reason why not, (we were all kids once and should be encouraging kids to go fishing)

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, TheFishyFisherman said:

Don’t they have to be over 30 cm for eating? And under 15 cm for live bait? It doesn’t really say anything about the sizes in between on the website for bag and size limits. Maybe I’m reading it wrong. Also, sorry for asking a question on your post GC

That’s for sea mullet. Sand mullet are different.

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, TheFishyFisherman said:

Oh thanks! Still can’t tell the difference tho 😅

As Mike stated. Sea mullet, or bully mullet, have a minimum size limit of 30 cm. All other mullet have no size limit in NSW.

Most mullet caught on line in NSW are Sand Mullet, though I have caught Yellow Eye Mullet, Fan Tail Mullet (limited numbers) and Sea Mullet (very limited numbers) on bread bait.

Just a matter of googling the mullet species on computer. There are more than a dozen mullet species in Aus, varying from state to state.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jenno64 said:

That’s a good session! With that quality bait I would be fishing a livie on the tide change. Go get them!

Yea we would’ve been livebaiting them however we didn’t bring a heavy enough setup as we weren’t expecting to get any mullet there. Will make sure to bring a heavier setup next time.

Great catches!!!  I never had any luck at Davidson Park, but awesome to see someone is catching there at least.  The opposite side of Davidson Park has some nice walking tracks that also make pretty entertaining fishing - not that I caught much there either, but it was fun to hike and fish at the same time.

• Like 1