Would love your thoughts! NSW Mid-North Coast Solo Fishing Trip

Hi all,

In the next week or two, I’m going to be heading up to Old Bar and Camden Head on a solo trip to target whiting and flathead on the flats. For whiting, I haven’t really been able to find a lure technique other than topwater stick baiting to catch them on lures. Personally I’ve found that bait fishing with yabbies is the most consistent way that I catch them.

Is anyone able to recommend some alternative lure techniques I could start learning to target whiting on the flats? I’d like to broaden my skills to include techniques other than just topwater (as fun as that is).

Separately, for anyone who has been to these locations before - do you have any recommendations on other notable species I could try target while I’m there?

I could see the break wall at Camden Head producing some quality fish. I’m thinking it’s probably worth fishing the base and back eddies with yabbies at some locations, or flicking some small metals into the Camden Haven Inlet for tailor/salmon.

I’m also thinking walking the length of the beaches flicking a metal through the gutters would be a worthwhile endeavour (if I can find the gutters, that is).

Best Regards,

Speedy

Edited by SpeedyGiraffe49

• SpeedyGiraffe49 changed the title to Would love your thoughts! NSW Mid-North Coast Solo Fishing Trip

Whiting on fly is relatively easy, probably the most reliable method next to worms or nippers (in my opinion) especially on very shallow flats, you can cast way ahead with minimal splash or noise. Fishing new spots is not that difficult, if you just put in a bit of thinking and some exploring. Fishing anywhere doesn’t vary much, certain species will be found in the same area of a south coast system, or a north coast system.

• Like 3

Thanks Noelm - agree. I feel like I’ve scoped out some good bets, and also garnered a bit from the searching some old posts so I’ll use that as my starting point.

I also picked myself up a vibe today to see if I can tempt the whiting on that if topwater falls flat.

I don't know how experienced you are with beach fishing but the best time is usually low light periods. Fish the gutters and you should be able to catch a few different species. Bait fishing with fish bait, worms, squid, prawns or chuck some lures around. A few bits of pilchard tossed in as berley now and then also helps. Put the time in, get the result.

Good luck,  bn

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SpeedyGiraffe49 said:

Hi all,

In the next week or two, I’m going to be heading up to Old Bar and Camden Head on a solo trip to target whiting and flathead on the flats. For whiting, I haven’t really been able to find a lure technique other than topwater stick baiting to catch them on lures. Personally I’ve found that bait fishing with yabbies is the most consistent way that I catch them.

Is anyone able to recommend some alternative lure techniques I could start learning to target whiting on the flats? I’d like to broaden my skills to include techniques other than just topwater (as fun as that is).

Separately, for anyone who has been to these locations before - do you have any recommendations on other notable species I could try target while I’m there?

I could see the break wall at Camden Head producing some quality fish. I’m thinking it’s probably worth fishing the base and back eddies with yabbies at some locations, or flicking some small metals into the Camden Haven Inlet for tailor/salmon.

I’m also thinking walking the length of the beaches flicking a metal through the gutters would be a worthwhile endeavour (if I can find the gutters, that is).

Best Regards,

Speedy

The flats in Gogleys Lagoon adjacent to the breakwall  on the Dunbogan aide of the river is a very good area for casting bent minnows to fish topwater for flathead  - I prefer the 110mm Crossfire and try to fish the last hour of the dropping  tide, focussing on the flats adjacent to the dropoffs or the areas where the water drains off the flats . 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, noelm said:

Whiting on fly is relatively easy, probably the most reliable method next to worms or nippers (in my opinion) especially on very shallow flats, you can cast way ahead with minimal splash or noise. Fishing new spots is not that difficult, if you just put in a bit of thinking and some exploring. Fishing anywhere doesn’t vary much, certain species will be found in the same area of a south coast system, or a north coast system.

My local whiting haven’t got the memo @noelm. I think you need to send some of your whiting up to teach mine how to eat my shrimp flies because the flathead aren’t doing a good enough job of teaching them. Also they need help in the  growing to 45cm department  🤣.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I live near Old Bar. If you are fishing the area for your target species PM me. Your best locations are the Old Bar entrance (accessed past the old runway north of Old Bar) and don't discount a short trip south to Saltwater Lagoon - all very accessable and suited to wading.

Big Neil and Hilly fished the Canden Haven recently.

I'm not sure about whiting currently however Flathead are increasing following the winter. We have has a fair bit of rain this week and a lot of colour in the rivers. Forster is 30 minutes south - talk to Luke at Great Lakes Tackle. If its happening in the Lakes its happening in the Manning & Camden.

Yabbies. Old Bar - Up the end of the road past the airport/Campground (Old BAr Reserve) is a large area of flats holding yabbies. If you have 4WD utilise the beach to get to the river mouth or walk in from the road.

Camden Haven - there is large sand flat in the river on the North Haven side of the river which holds yabbies.

Agree that Gogleys Lagoon at Dunbogan is a prime spot - you can walk in from the road in most areas - beware of those dreaded Blackfish fishos - they are a bit tempramental if you are in their "spots".

Good luck.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Hill373737 said:

The flats in Gogleys Lagoon adjacent to the breakwall  on the Dunbogan aide of the river is a very good area for casting bent minnows to fish topwater for flathead  - I prefer the 110mm Crossfire and try to fish the last hour of the dropping  tide, focussing on the flats adjacent to the dropoffs or the areas where the water drains off the flats . 

Thanks @Hill373737! I think I found one of your old posts that spoke about Gogley's Lagoon. From the satellite imagery alone it looks like prime flathead and whiting territory. I'll have a crack with the large bent minnow as you mentioned.

3 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Big plastics for jew off the breakwalls  they are  caught quite freqently

Thanks @rickmarlin62! That's helpful - how big are we talking? I've got some 4.2in pearl white paddle tails that I could throw? I'm also thinking I'll try for them in the low light periods and at the turn of the tide so the water's not ripping through the inlet?

2 hours ago, Hoods said:

I live near Old Bar. If you are fishing the area for your target species PM me. Your best locations are the Old Bar entrance (accessed past the old runway north of Old Bar) and don't discount a short trip south to Saltwater Lagoon - all very accessable and suited to wading.

Big Neil and Hilly fished the Canden Haven recently.

I'm not sure about whiting currently however Flathead are increasing following the winter. We have has a fair bit of rain this week and a lot of colour in the rivers. Forster is 30 minutes south - talk to Luke at Great Lakes Tackle. If its happening in the Lakes its happening in the Manning & Camden.

Yabbies. Old Bar - Up the end of the road past the airport/Campground (Old BAr Reserve) is a large area of flats holding yabbies. If you have 4WD utilise the beach to get to the river mouth or walk in from the road.

Camden Haven - there is large sand flat in the river on the North Haven side of the river which holds yabbies.

Agree that Gogleys Lagoon at Dunbogan is a prime spot - you can walk in from the road in most areas - beware of those dreaded Blackfish fishos - they are a bit tempramental if you are in their "spots".

Good luck.

Thanks @Hoods! Really helpful thoughts and info. I'll PM you a bit closer to the trip, but definitely will be targeting whiting and flathead at the Old Bar entrance area at different points of the tide. These flats in particular are looking good for wading:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Yw5tyu2L4KkKVEZZA

I think it's pretty clear from yourself and others above that there's plenty of places/ways to target each species. Won't be able to do all of them so I'll have to make the hard decision to pick some of them and run with it haha.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Peter KH said:

Sounds like an exciting trip. Make sure you post up a report of how you went. Im interested!

Definitely will do. Don’t have any fly gear at the moment so won’t be doing that, but certainly appreciate the suggestion - didn’t realise that was even a viable method for targeting whiting. The more you know

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpeedyGiraffe49 said:

Definitely will do. Don’t have any fly gear at the moment so won’t be doing that, but certainly appreciate the suggestion - didn’t realise that was even a viable method for targeting whiting. The more you know

You can try tying your own flies, pretty straight forward.

As for fishing gear, many people do whiting fly fishing with spinning gear.

But by the sounds of things, targeting flathead sounds like the best option for this trip, if it was me, that's what i'd do!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SpeedyGiraffe49 said:

Fly fishing is a DEEP rabbit hole, speaking from experience. Proceed with caution, though it is a source of endless fun and frustration 🙃

• Haha 3