Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning to the deep water up from Lilli Pilli. 

Plenty of bait stealing reddies, none near the size limit. I was luckier with the jewies, one at 72cm, and 3 others between about 50 and 60 cms. Squid and yakkas strips. A lone tailor about 35cm and that was it. Some fish on the surface, looked to me like salmon.

When the tide started running up, I headed to Grays Point for a change, pumped about a dozen nippers and drifted over the sand bank for quite a while. Hardly a bite at all. One bream at 27cm, released, dropped a whiting and on the last nipper pulled up the flattie, about 40cm. The flattie zoomed around the boat like a big whiting, thought that's what it was until beside the boat. Enough so headed home.

fish.jpeg.463_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 18

1 minute ago, Peter K said:

Hey Yowie, wondering if you've used tailor as jewie bait? I gave it a crack last night, I had three takes of it but each time, the hooks came out after a 10 second run.  

Fresh tailor strips are good, and I quite often pick them up on salted and frozen tailor fillets, thawed then cut into strips.

Sometimes they do not hook up. I dropped another one today, on for a short time, then gone.

Just now, Yowie said:

Fresh tailor strips are good, and I quite often pick them up on salted and frozen tailor fillets, thawed then cut into strips.

Sometimes they do not hook up. I dropped another one today, on for a short time, then gone.

Sorry @Yowie, when you say strips, does that mean a strip of one fillet from the tailor. Or a strip being a big ring looking thing being a cut through the whole tailors body and about 3-4cm wide? 

I cut big strip rings yesterday, but I've seen some cut strips from just a fillet.

Thanks for any tips here you can advice.

Peter

1 minute ago, Larkin said:

Got those Jewies figured

A good mix of fish 👍

How was the wind today?

Looked ok in the morning - I was thinking about going for fish, but thought it might start blowing. Arvo it was blowing a gale.

A few jewies about it seems. Wind was not too bad, probably picked up before 9am. Outside would have been fairly good before that. The nor-easter certainly kicked in after a while, outside not good this arvo.

5 minutes ago, Peter K said:

Sorry @Yowie, when you say strips, does that mean a strip of one fillet from the tailor. Or a strip being a big ring looking thing being a cut through the whole tailors body and about 3-4cm wide? 

I cut big strip rings yesterday, but I've seen some cut strips from just a fillet.

Thanks for any tips here you can advice.

Peter

A strip is cut across the fillet, top to bottom, 1 to 1.5 cm wide. The best tailor size is around the 40 cm mark, give or take a few cms.

I use 2 ganged longshank hooks, size 3/0, mainly because tailor are likely to grab the bait and chew off a single hook, also the bait is held better rather than bunching up on a single hook. Ganged hooks can be harder to remove from a fish if both hooks are swallowed. Most people use 5/0 or 6/0 single hooks for jewies.

• Like 3

Interesting. So you have had more success by cutting a strip from a single fillet. When I try last night I cut a strip through the whole fish. 

Ive been using a a double hook setup, sort of like a snell rig, Ill have to give gang hook set a go, that's something I've never tried.                                                                        Thanks for the advice, Cheers, Peter

9 minutes ago, Peter K said:

Interesting. So you have had more success by cutting a strip from a single fillet. When I try last night I cut a strip through the whole fish. 

Ive been using a a double hook setup, sort of like a snell rig, Ill have to give gang hook set a go, that's something I've never tried.                                                                        Thanks for the advice, Cheers, Peter

Nothing wrong with the double hook setup in the snell rig. With the ganged hooks, there is a bigger possibility of an angry fish jumping about, and getting yourself impaled on one of the hooks, if you do not regularly use them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jenno64 said:

Nice work on the jewies at the moment Yowie! I have injured my knee so I'm off the kayak for a while after only one test voyage😪

A few there, but 3 out of 4 undersized. 

What happened with the knee?

12 hours ago, Pickles said:

Nice Jewie Dave - hard to beat nippers for bait. Do you ever freeze them in saltwater and use later ? Be interested to know how they go ?

Thank you Bob.

I have never tried freezing nippers. I would think they would thaw out to be very soft and not stay on the hook. Maybe the dead ones could be salted, might toughen up a bit, and you would need a couple on each hook.